AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does adding a "Target" to my display campaigns cause a decrease in activity?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Recently I have added a targeting method to my display campaign "Interests & Remarketing" it is set to bid only. However, this has caused a large decrease in my activity. I would have thought by adding a separate targeting method that it would have "if anything" increased my activity. Currently, the targeting methods I have are as follows. 

Display Keywords (14)

Topics (25)

Interest & Remarketing (14)

Each target is set to Bid only and I have the box checked to allow Adwords automatically find new customers 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does adding a "Target" to my display campaigns cause a decrease in activity?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Terry,

I think the problem is that you need to change 'Bid Only' to 'Target and Bid'.

So basically the way 'Bid Only' works is that your adverts won't target this targeting method but will bid on it if it appears.

For example:

You have two sets of targeting methods in your campaign:

- A keyword of 'cars' (Target and Bid)

- A remarketing list (Bid Only).

So the way it works is that if your display advert appears for the keyword 'cars' (that you've targeted) and the person who it is shown to is also in your remarketing list, AdWords will use your remarketing bid instead.

However AdWords won't specifically be showing your adverts to your remarketing list itself.

It's fairly confusing and I would recommend always setting a targetting method to 'Target and Bid'.

Also to your first question, targeting methods in the 'Interests and Remarketing' section of the GDN do not overlap as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry Crowder
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I tried this once and had a similar issue, and my Google rep told me to divide the targeting into separate adgroups or campaigns: keep one adgroup with Interest and Remarketing targeting only, and then another with the other targeting methods like Topics and Keywords. He said that Interest and Remarketing should not be combined with other targeting methods, but i don't remember why... I hope this helps. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

When you set a "bid only" the OR condition applies - meaning: you expand the targeting audience.

However, I think that you added a re-marketing in addition to the current targeting methods.  As @Dean advised: split the campaign into a separate re-marketing campaign and another classic display campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’