AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does a PPC ad impact the website rank on the organic page?

M J
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
M J
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Group! For a keyword, our website shows up at the top of the first google organic page.  We also have a PPC in place for the same keyword that also shows our ad at the top on the first google page.  So, we sometimes have the PPC advertisement right above our website on the organic page.  I was told that if I remove this keyword from our PPC, it would affect our current website rank in the organic search.  Is it true? By the way, our website is struggling with some SEO complications.  Thanks in advance!  I am really looking forward to any inputs.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does a PPC ad impact the website rank on the organic page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi M J,

"I was told that if I remove this keyword from our PPC, it would affect our current website rank in the organic search."

That is absolutely, without a doubt, and unequivocally false. There is a big wall between organic search results and paid listings and the teams that work on them. They do not communicate and they do not interact in any way, shape or form. If you are paying people to give you this kind of "advice", especially if it's an agency, ask them to go back to school or just let them go and find someone who actually knows what's going on.

That said, even if this keyword ranks #1 on organic and paid, I would continue to use that keyword. The two listings serve to compliment each other, having both on the same page at the top lends credibility to your business. Besides, you would not want your ad not to show up for that search if your competitors's ads are showing.

If you are struggling with SEO, try the Webmaster Tools and that forum. They should be able to help you bit there with your organic rank issues. I would be happuy to look at your site to see if there is anything obvious that you could be doing (but aren't) to help with organic ratings. The quick answer is to make the site attractive and useable. easy to navigate and read. Use natural language, don't stuff keywords and be sure to make use of title attributes for anchors and links, and alt attributes for all images. Those are great places for your keywords, but don't just stuff them in there. It has to be natural language usage. Oh, and make sure is is mobile device friendly. That's a big thing a Google right now.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there; 

No.  These are two independent systems.

The advantage of having PPC is that you control the ad-copy. (And above the search results, you  also have sitelinks - that give more "presence" to your business) - while you don't have much control over the content, which  the Goggle's bot "mines" for (showing on) an organic listing.

See also this discussion on the topic:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/PPC-rebound-affecting-SEO/td-p/81196

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
OOhh... Pete posted while I was typing my answer;
Anyway, you got two answers + another link to an earlier discussion. This should convince those who think that the systems affect each other.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
M J
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
M J
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Moshe:
Thanks for the clarification! Appreciate it!

M J
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
M J
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Pete:
Thanks for the clarification! Appreciate it!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mj,

No, never. Both are entirely different in they way they work. However; as a PPC manager I like the sentiment, but SEO and PPC are really two pieces of the same puzzle and should be used together for the success of business.

Regards,
Gokul