AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does Postcode Targeting actually work...?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI all,

Ok, so we advertise in certain areas of the UK (Search Only). We recently changed from Radius Targeting to Postcode Targeting and traffic stopped in its tracks. We reverted back to Radius & Calls started. Swapped again, stopped! Literally like a switch...!

So, it is likely that Postcode Targeting is not working correctly so would it be ok if use used Postcode Targeting to 'highlight' the postcode areas we want in the UK then use a very small Radius Targeting circle to kinda 'colour them in'? The reason I ask is that a lot of areas are more rectangle than circular so by just placing 1x Radius circle, we advertise in neighbouring areas, which is something we want to avoid desperately.

Many Thanks for any replies...

Ade

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Postcode Targeting actually work...?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well....If you run  a search on the community for "Geo targeting  UK" / "Geo targeting London",  you'll find that this is far from perfect...

Officially, Google does not support postal code / zip-codes targeting in the UK. (In the UK, Google  supports Geo targeting by  cities, counties and provinces. In UK  "terminology"  these - I think - are  regions and sub-divisions.)

In any case, I would not recommend Geo targeting using small radiuses (radii). Geo targeting is far from  being perfect, and due to technology / telecom infrastructure not being perfect, a user physically within the targeted area,  could  easily be assigned (by  the system)  to the neighboring radius, or  be excluded.

Let me ping  two of our UK Top Contributors (Jon, and Steve)  to comment on the topic;

@Cobnut ; @stickleback 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok Thank you Moshe Smiley Happy

Ade
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You can target by the first part of UK postcodes, M3, SL1 etc, but from experience the volumes through postcodes have been very small, even when targeting multiple London postcodes.

I assumed it was down to the fact that devices won't share such specific information with Google.

Depending on the size of the location then small Radii are probably the best way to go. It's not going to be perfect though.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Liam,

Yeah we've solved the issue (we think) by applying all the postcodes (This outlines to us on the map the area) then we kinda 'colour' in the highlighted area with small radius circles. Seems to have done the trick Smiley Happy

Ade