AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does Pausing Campaigns Hurt Long Term Performance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is my first post on this forum.  Thanks in advance for any help that the AdWords Community can give me.

We have clients who sometimes need to have an AdWords campaign temporarily paused due to a vacation or it may stop running because of payment issues. When this happens I often find that overall campaign performance (Clicks, Impressions, CTR, Conversions) takes several weeks to return to previous levels.

Has anyone else noticed similar issues? Also, has anyone seem any documentation on why this might occur?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Pausing Campaigns Hurt Long Term Performance?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

At our company we set up automated rules to pause campaigns when they reach their budget and have seen no negative side effects.

A possible reason for differing performance is that new competitors have joined the fray in the time it has been paused. 

I Hope this helps

-Dylan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The contribution of inactive campaigns to the overall account performance diminishes over time. In the short run the preferences are still counted.  As the campaigns paused for longer periods - they are no longer  counted. How long is "longer period?" -  this, Google does not disclose.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies.  After about 10 days the CTR of this campaign has come back, but I have never really solved why it dropped so dramatically in the first place.