4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does Broad Match Modifier cost more?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh no!  I wanted to change KW match types to Broad Match Modifier.  However, it turns out that BMM might be much more expensive for me.  

Yesterday, I made a new Ad Group (and paused it) that has KW terms matched as BMM.  

KW phrase XYZ is in the new Ad Group, and I’ve used it already as a Phrase matched term. 

Today, “Estimated first page bids” appear in the paused campaign. The Est first page bid for XYZ = $1.50 (BMM).  Oh no!  

Historic data (see image below) for XYZ show I am paying between $.56 and $.64 to appear in the top 3 results.  

So, the non-BMM version seems to perform well. 

Questions:  What do I do?  Should I run two match types for phrases like XYZ (Exact and BMM)?  (I already have about 50 KW phrases and my budget for all my KWs is $30.00 per day.)  What would you do?  Am I missing some info? 

Thanks to anyone with insights.  

Chris 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChrisatGIM
September 2015

Re: Does Broad Match Modifier cost more?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi again Chris.  It's really impossible to answer this question without knowing a lot more about your company and the account.   As a trivial example, you're concerned about an increased in CPC from $0.64 to $1.50 and this would be meaningless if each Conversion on your account was worth $500 to you.

That said, it's not unusual for broader matches to cost more as they tend to be less relevant and have a lower Quality Score than phrase or exact matches.  It's not a hard rule - I've seen the total opposite - but it's generally true.  You should also note that what you pay is a factor of your Quality Score for those Keywords and that in turn is going to be affected by your CTR over time.  It could be you'll see actual CPC lower than $1.50 once the Keywords "settle in".

Although I would not normally say this, with the spend you've shown us here and the questions you've asked us recently, have you never considered hiring a professional manager?  I'm also a little surprised your screenshot isn't showing columns for Conversions, or imported Analytics data (unless you've cropped them out).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Cobnut.  I needed the reminder that broader matches cost more.  I'm still learning. 

Also, I've been surpirsed that our CTRs have been better than the stated AdWords system-wide standard of 2% (I think I saw that in my AdWrods traning) while our QSs are so poor.  We have lots of work to do.  For example, we're not up to conversions yet because we have resources dedicated elsewhere.  Meanwhile, I know that the absense of conversion data is bad.  I hope our team can get to conversion implementation soon.  It doesn't seem so challenging.

As for highering a professional manager, I am expected to grow into that position.  Based on your post, I'm wonidering if, for someone like me, who is new to AdWords and trying to learn the trade, this is not the place to be posting.  I'm not sure how much more I should be adding about my company and my account without writing the longests posts ever, and mine are already too long and, apparently, below the Community's standards.  Golly.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

>> I've been surpirsed that our CTRs have been better than the stated AdWords system-wide standard of 2%

Where did you hear that? What Adwords training? Not from Google, right?

That statement also needs to be clarified and put into context. I can only assume it's for search (although you do say system wide so may include the content network) and the percentage of people clicking ANY ad. Frankly, I doubt that, it should be higher in my thinking, at least for search and on Google only, not the search partners. But it doesn't matter because that statistic is pretty much useless.

Your QS is poor so you need to improve that by improving your ads. Also, there is no correlation between QS and actual CTR which will be greatly affected by position. QS is calculated taking position into account. It can be anything for any click rate. I've seen rates of 1% or less in first position yet a QS of 10 and I've seen QS of 5 in first as well with CTR of 10%. It is a measure of how good your CTR is at that position compared to the CTR by others for that keyword. All you can tell for sure is if you have a QS of 5 is that your CTR is about the same as the average for all other advertisers. It doesn't tell you however what CTR is needed to get to the next step, although you might be able to infer with meticulous data gathering.

I think this is the perfect place for your questions. It's the place where the most knowledgeable Adwords people are, in my opinion. Much better than other forums I've frequented. You can learn a lot but this can take time and experience helps too. I've learned (or at least realized) something new myself recently which is helping me better served my clients and I've been doing Adwords for years. So, if you're willing, we're here to help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, to echo Lucid's comments, this is absolutely the best place to be and asking questions.  It's how I learned Adwords some 10+ years ago, by coming to the forum of the time (very, very different from this one today!) and asking questions.  Over time I found myself starting to answer questions, then, after more time, found that I was only answering questions.  (If I do have a question these days I ask it in private so I don't embarrass myself Smiley Happy ).

My question was really based on concern over the budget you're (or your company) spending.  With Adwords it's very easy for even relatively small mistakes to become very costly and when you're looking at budgets that run into the thousands or tens of thousands per month, these mistakes can very easily be more costly than hiring a professional.  If you find the right person they could act as a mentor for you, helping you to learn, although to be honest I don't know many Adwords professionals who have the time to do this.

My comment certainly wasn't intended to be insulting, I was merely expressing concern that you may be spending more than necessary.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In every campaign that we have incorporated BMM we've seen a HUGE jump in CPA.  In some cases over a 40% bump. Getting ready to remove all of it and go back.  The BMM seems like the best way for Google to make more money and not a way to better target customers.

Anyone else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
generally on all my campaign = NOT TRUE AT ALL
all BBM or broad is mainly and largely ( speaking *3 time less ) less expensive
and this make sense, broad have a larger audience so more clicks , so more money for google

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.