AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does Average Position Impacts Quality Score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am working on a campaign, I just want to know does average positions impacts Quality Score? Which means does average position increases or decreases quality score?

Also does having a average position of between 1-2 improves quality score?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Average Position Impacts Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, position itself is not a factor in Quality Score, however, CTR (click through rate) is a major factor in Quality Score and CTR can be influenced by position, so there may be an indirect link between QS and position.

For example, if your Ads regularly show around position #6, they'll probably have a much lower CTR than if they showed at position #2, so this may influence QS.

Having said this, I've not seen a great variation in QS as position changes so it's possible the effects will be quite small compared to all the other factors that go into the QS calculation, or that position is taken into account, when factoring in the CTR element.

As with most things AdWords, the best idea is to test this theory for yourself by monitoring QS and position over a period of weeks where you control the position of your Ads.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

Ad Rank determines your ad position -- where your ad shows on the page in relation to other ads -- and whether your ads are eligible to show at all, Ad Rank = maxCPC x QS. QS consists many factors, one of them is expected CTR. But this CTR excludes factors such as ad position, extensions, and other formats that may have affected the visibility of an ad that someone previously clicked (more info https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en)

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to jump in here,

Expected CTR is normalised for the actual position of your ad and thus plays no part in the QS calculation. So in other words, bidding for a higher position (which will in general give you a higher CTR) will have no effect on your QS.

Hope the helps

For reference:

http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/settling-the-quality-score-whitepaper-final.pdf

"While it’s great to have a high position on the page, doing so doesn’t increase the
expected CTR rating of your ads. The expected CTR is normalized for your actual position
on the page."

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Completely agree with Clynton.
Ad position doesn't play any role at all during QS calculation. Google can easily understand that ads on 4 -5th position are less likely to be clicked and hence get lower CTR.
So connecting CTR and QS at this point is not correct.

Rohit.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well, Clynton thanks for the reply. Tel me does Ad position impacts CTR?

I think it does - then If you have a great CTR say around 5 -6 % then Does it impacts QS?

As per I know CTR is also one of the major factors for QS fluctuation. Now being at higher ad position will sure improve CTR, and that will impact the QS. So I think we can say the position sure impacts QS?

Now what you think about this?.

Waiting for reply.....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well Rohit K thanks for the reply...

Now I have a question, as you mentioned that Google easily understands the fact that an Ad at 4-5 position is less likely to click, then in that case ad position will impact the CTR inturn that will impact the QS too. As CTR is one of the major factor for QS.

Also I want to know does Google have some set of standards or defined CTR for different ad positions?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris K,

There is theory and then there is actuality. With the QS calculation you need to realise that actual CTR is not calculated but expected CTR. Thus if you have a higher than average E CTR than you will have a higher than average QS.

Now the average CTR in pos 1 is higher than position 5. So just by changing positions there is an increase in average CTR, thus just by changing positions you will have a higher E CTR, this does not, however, relate to an actual QS increase as the average CTR for that position is higher.

So Yes, you may have a 1% CTR in pos 5 and 5% in pos 1, But unless you are above the average in one pos as opposed to the other you will see no difference in QS.

This is where things like Ad Extensions come into play. You are eilgible to show them in the top 3 positions, so if you jump to those positions, just this eligibility will increase your E CTR (provided you are using ad extensions). So you may see an increase in QS here, provided your competitors are not using them or only using some. But again, if you are not using ad extensions and your competitors are, then you could see a decrease in QS by moving up the positions despite an increase in actual CTR.

You need to remember that there is a difference between E CTR and actual CTR. Now actual CTR is a factor in calculating E CTR, but until you have an established performance at the ad position this will have little to no effect on your QS.

At the end of the day, everyone gets a CTR boost at higher positions, so why would you get a QS boost and no one else? You need to be doing better then the average at that position in order for it to reflect in QS.

Hope this helps.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Again I will refer to Clynton reply, that "Expected CTR is normalized" according to the ad position. So you should not relate Ad-Position+CTR+QS all together.
Think of Ad Position+CTR and CTR+QS separately Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
how do we know that what is expected CTR of that specific position or for a particular keyword? Also how we can conclude that the CTR of keyword is above average or below average & above expected CTR or below expected CTR?

Also I want to know in which scenario the QS is impacted by CTR and how we can conclude that, if there is shift in QS?