AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does AdWords record both converted clicks and conversions anyway?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This may seem like a stupid question, but I've always found the conversion stuff slightly confusing. I notice across our campaigns we seem to have conversions recording as 'all conversions' in the 'count' setting. What is the difference then - between our converted clicks column and our conversions column? Lets say if we have three conversions and two visitors - A, B and C. The first visitor clicks on an ad and they complete conversion A. They then complete conversion A again 20 minutes later. The next day they then complete conversion B. The second visitor completes conversion C and then conversion B a few days after. Does our current settings mean this records as 4 converted clicks - one for each conversion type, and 5 conversions - for the 3 conversion actions from the first user and 2 for the second. 

What would would be the difference in conversion recording in both 'converted clicks' and 'conversions' column if instead of having the count setting as 'all' it was set as 'unique conversions'? 

Thanks for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil T
September 2015

Re: Does AdWords record both converted clicks and conversions anyway?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil T,

Adwords records both types, converted clicks is simply how many clicks resulted in a conversion. So maximum 1 count for each ad click. If a customer clicks an ad and then completes 3 different conversions converted clicks will record 1 converted click.

In this same example conversions will record 3 conversions, as there were 3 separate conversions(if you set it to unique).

Your example got a bit convoluted for me, so just went with a simpler one here. but to answer your example

there would only be 2 converted clicks and conversions will either be 5 or 4, depending on whether you set your conversion tracking to Unique or All.

Learn the difference in conversions here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6365?hl=en

let me know if you have any more questions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Clynton - so the converted clicks column will only ever record one conversion action per user even if they complete 3 or 4 actions? And the count setting - 'all' or 'unique', will only affect the conversions column, not the converted click one?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
That would be correct!

Glad I could help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That's great thanks a lot.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
When there are more than one conversion on a site Google uses the converted clicks to count those visitors who converted (once or multiple) this is the most widely used stat simply because if a single visitor converts 5 times we could start to think that our cost per conversion were 5 times lower than it really is - after all, whatever our final goal might be - let's suppose we want to sell our visitors widgets - our click happy visitor is not going to buy 5 times as many widgets as he needs...

But - and this is interesting - if we activate the total conversions column in reporting, then we are able to segment our conversions by name. Since not all conversions are created equal this is useful....

Let's suppose that you have two conversions - people who downloaded a white paper on your widgets, and people who actually bought some widgets. If there are two campaigns that both cost $50 per conversion and each get 100 conversions a month then you might assume they are both performing as well as the other. But if the first campaign gets 40 downloads and 10 sales, whereas the second campaign gets 10 downloads and 40 sales, where are you going to push your budget?

I inherited an account a while back that had a conversion triggering every time someone visited - wait for it.... the campaign landing page. when I simply stopped this conversion from reporting my client was upset that his CPA had gone up - what a surprise!!

Conversions need to be meaningful and represent something you are prepared to pay for... the question then is - how much are you willing to pay for this conversion - and that is your maximum CPA....