6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does AdWords increase organic rankings as well? - Day #5

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Before the advent of AdWords, we used different forms of advertising looking for customers, we tried to reach out to the places where our potential customers to could see us.  But with AdWords, there came a significant shift i.e. – now customers look for businesses. You simply need to ensure your presence there and you’ll be found.  

Given this huge benefit, everyone loves to talk about AdWords everywhere.  A simple online search for ‘AdWords’ results in thousands and thousands of web pages that contain blogs, articles, and social media posts describing how to make the most of this robust platform. But as goes the saying – many mind, many find, it gives birth to many a misinformation that floats freely around internet. 

Obviously, there’s no control over it. But there can be an effort to dispel it so that advertisers do not fall prey to it. In my effort, I already talked about four different misconceptions last week (thank you for your great feedbacks on them). Today, this is the final one out of my 5 AdWords Insights in 5 Days series. Here's the 5th one -

Day 5: AdWords Insight # 5 –

Does AdWords increase organic rankings as well?

Google’s paid search result which is served through AdWords platform and organic search result which is normally promoted through SEO are independent of one another. They do not affect each other.

If you are using much of AdWords to promote your business online, it will have no effect on your natural search results. At the same time, if you stop using AdWords it will not affect your organic search rankings any way. Hence, Organic and Paid - they are two different channels and are controlled by different set of algorithms. 

Having said that, I would not deny a logical and indirect influence that AdWords may have on organic rankings of a website. Let me make a breast of it.

You would agree that if you promote your business using AdWords, you get more eyeballs to your business, don’t you?

Yes, your business gets exposed to more potential customers and it helps you in branding as well. Now, when you have more customers viewing and using your products or services than before, your business may attract more reviews on different online websites, more sharing and engagement on social media sites, more blogs, and articles about your products/services from your new as well as existing customers.

It means your word is out there, using it strategically, you can not only serve the primary purpose of your business by getting more leads, sales, and any other form of conversions that you may have, but you may also attract more links, social signals, and other significant rankings factors for the benefit of your website.

It all eventually might work towards helping you get lifts in organic rankings as well. This is the only way you can expect the effect of your AdWords marketing efforts on organic rankings in Google SERPs, there's no other. It's an indirect benefit that I personally believe it works if you strategically design and optimize your AdWords campaigns to address both leads and branding goals. 

However, the fact and answer to the main question remains the same - there's is no direct influence of AdWords over organic rankings of a website.

What's your thought on it? I would love to hear from you. Do add your comments below.

Links to other posts of this series -

5 important AdWords insights in 5 days – Day #1

Does repetition of keywords improve quality score? - Day #2

Does a keyword with No-Competition have the lowest CPC? - Day #3

Bidding the highest – Does it guarantee top ad position? - Day #4

Thanks
Ratan Jha

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does AdWords increase organic rankings as well? - Day #5

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Well written and informative article as usual Ratan Smiley Wink
ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks Scott, I am happy you liked it. Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pretty good article Ratan, looking forward to reading more from you.

Cheers!

Follow me on Google+

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Weslee, I'm glad you liked it. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ratan,

I agree from your thoughts. If you are using much of AdWords to promote your business online, it will have no affect on your natural search results.

But indirectly it's affect very much on organic listing after some time. I have realise this from sites on which I have been running Google Adwords. So I think we can use that as a trick to promote your websites in organic listing.

What's your thought on it?

Thanks,
Pavan

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Hey Ratan-Jha, Good Read thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has there been any study done to show that using Google AdWords doesn't affect organic search results? I can't help looking at this from Google's point of view. They're a for-profit company, so obviously they will be always looking for ways to maximize profit. AdWords are generally used by companies whose site does not appear on page 1 of the organic results. If a company is willing to pay for Adwords, it would not be in Google's best interest to improve their organic search results. If they manage to reach page 1, they're going to pause or stop their ad campaign. So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Google might identify companies which are clearly willing to spend the $$$'s on advertising, and rank them a little lower in the organic search results to keep those $$$'s coming in. Of course this is just speculation, but I see some logic in it. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We experienced this first hand! Are thoughts exactly. 

- Robbins Plastic Surgery 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I experienced this first hand as well (at least I think I did). I used to be on page one for a keyword, then over the years slipped to page two. Recently I've been doing some optimizations and really paying attention to my SEO again, and I started climbing to the top of page two and it looked like I might break page one again. Started an AdWords campaign a couple of weeks ago, and within 5 days I'd been relegated to the bottom of page three. A huge, sudden drop. 

Experts in the Topic
Ratan-Jha
ScottyD