AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do you split test (a/b) or do multivariate testing?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I'm working with our agency and lately we've been doing multivariate tests for our text ads.

I'm from the camp that a true test would be taking 1 variable, and testing them against each other.

Are there any of you out there that prefer multi variate testing? (ie: simultaneously testing headlines, descriptions, display URLs, etc.)

This would be for all campaign types (brand, generic, competitor)

Would love to hear your thoughts!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jean Philippe R
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I use the Lab Ad Variations to do multivariate testing on headlines, descriptions and display URLs. This is a pretty new feature with Adwords that I like so far. It's still in beta, so I'm not sure if it's available for everyone yet. 

When it comes to testing landing pages, I usually like to do A/B tests. One time I tested 4 landing pages against each other (at the same time) with a 3rd party program, but I found the data to be too similar to determine much.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your response. Can you explain to me a little more about the Lab Ad Variations? I can probably request the beta with our rep -- but just want to make sure it's worth asking for.

How is it different than running 2 completely different ads within the same ad group?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The Lab Ad Variations makes certain that 50% (or whatever % you want) of the traffic sees the variations. When using 2 ads within the same ad group, you have don't have too much control of how much each ad is shown. Here is a setup guide that goes into more detail: http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/ad-variations-setup-guide.pdf

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok, that's helpful. I will try to get on this beta... Definitely looks like a powerful tool for testing. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jean Philippe R

Multi variable testing requires deep knowledge in statistics. I would stick to one variable at a time. Indeed, this extended the test duration.

This  discussion might be of an interest;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Campaign-Draft-Experiment-Not-Ide...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’