AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do you split test (a/b) or do multivariate testing?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I'm working with our agency and lately we've been doing multivariate tests for our text ads.

I'm from the camp that a true test would be taking 1 variable, and testing them against each other.

Are there any of you out there that prefer multi variate testing? (ie: simultaneously testing headlines, descriptions, display URLs, etc.)

This would be for all campaign types (brand, generic, competitor)

Would love to hear your thoughts!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jean Philippe R
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I use the Lab Ad Variations to do multivariate testing on headlines, descriptions and display URLs. This is a pretty new feature with Adwords that I like so far. It's still in beta, so I'm not sure if it's available for everyone yet. 

When it comes to testing landing pages, I usually like to do A/B tests. One time I tested 4 landing pages against each other (at the same time) with a 3rd party program, but I found the data to be too similar to determine much.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jean Philippe R
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I use the Lab Ad Variations to do multivariate testing on headlines, descriptions and display URLs. This is a pretty new feature with Adwords that I like so far. It's still in beta, so I'm not sure if it's available for everyone yet. 

When it comes to testing landing pages, I usually like to do A/B tests. One time I tested 4 landing pages against each other (at the same time) with a 3rd party program, but I found the data to be too similar to determine much.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your response. Can you explain to me a little more about the Lab Ad Variations? I can probably request the beta with our rep -- but just want to make sure it's worth asking for.

How is it different than running 2 completely different ads within the same ad group?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The Lab Ad Variations makes certain that 50% (or whatever % you want) of the traffic sees the variations. When using 2 ads within the same ad group, you have don't have too much control of how much each ad is shown. Here is a setup guide that goes into more detail: http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/ad-variations-setup-guide.pdf

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok, that's helpful. I will try to get on this beta... Definitely looks like a powerful tool for testing. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jean Philippe R

Multi variable testing requires deep knowledge in statistics. I would stick to one variable at a time. Indeed, this extended the test duration.

This  discussion might be of an interest;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Campaign-Draft-Experiment-Not-Ide...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’