AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do you have success with keywords for assist clicks ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Is it a regular practice to build Search network ad groups with tangent keywords that can generate cheaper clicks that almost always are only "assist clicks" before conversions ? How do you research for such keywords and what factors do you use to select them , besides a low "suggested bid" and "low competition" ?

For example I would like to add some keywords that have an avg. cpc. 10 times lower than my main converting keywords but still have some relationship with the products/services on my landing page.

Is there a way to find out what keywords are used in the research phase before a converting keyword is used in a visit ? For example google could show us in the Planner a string of searches that usually lead to a conversion on our selected main keyword. Some sort of a "Search funnel preview" like "People who typed this search term , previously typed Search term2 and Search term3 "

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Do you have success with keywords for assist clicks ?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Few things are a "regular practice" In AdWords. Larger and more sophisticated advertisers do mine their AdWords and Analytics data to discover what their "assist" keywords are. Until someone has done that kind of data mining, they would probably have no way to know what keywords would convert directly, which ones assist in conversions, and which ones are not helpful.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It could be easy for Google to say : there is 80% probability that these 2 or 3 search terms precede a conversion for this keyword, because they own all the data from all the search funnels. For example it is self-understood that for a brand product, a keyword like "review for brand product" can generate assist clicks, but there could be so many other keywords to use in the same manner.

For example if you have a main converting keyword with a cost of 3$ per click, do you try to find out some other related keywords with the planner , arrange them by low avg. cpc. and if they have a suggested bid of bellow 0.2 $ you add them to the account just in hope that they will bring assist clicks ?

Thanks

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

To be honest, I rarely use the Keyword Planner. Once I'm familiar with my clients' businesses, I don't find it that difficult to know what keywords to use for advertising.

I do, however, routinely test new keywords from Search Queries or from competition analysis. I treat them like any other keyword.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok so I understand that is not a habit to use a percentage of the budget just to fuel some ad groups with many cheap keywords in hope that they will bring assist clicks.

I thought this would be a good solution for situations where the main converting keywords do not benefit of enough traffic so the product becomes known through some other much cheaper keywords.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Remember that the fact that I haven't done it (up until this point) doesn't mean it's not a valid strategy to test or that someone else isn't doing it.

Trying to boost the conversion power of converting keywords or "incremental conversions" - things like this are things many advertisers work on strategies for. If you feel the strategy you've outlined might produce success for you, then give it a test in one of your client accounts and please do post again to tell us what results you get!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hi..

if your set your conversions in adw..you can use the conversion tool channel...here you can discover sometimes that some kw are more useful than they firstly appear to be in your path to conversion..