AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do you bid on keywords that don't convert?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello

I do PPC for a very niche market but the budget is not that great currently, well depends on accounts you've managed ($60K a month, $45K on google) .  It is an inherited campaign and I have been managing it for about 1 month.  My account runs out of budget by 5 pm but we've seen conversions come in after that period actual a good amount. 

I was bidding on keywords that got clicks but no conversions, granted, our landing pages need a lot of improvement especially because we are in a financial industry, I think the landing page needs to look more trusted & modern.  But i looked at data from All Time and I paused keywords that didnt convert but cost. 

So now I am down to half keywords that I had before (all the keywords I paused, never converted).  Is this a good idea to drive more budget into only converting keywords? Thoughts?

PPCSophie
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCSophie
September 2015

Re: Do you bid on keywords that don't convert?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Sophie, well, that's just weird.  How are you determining that your budget is running out?  Has it always done this, or is it only on the new Enhanced Campaigns?  Are you making frequent budget changes?

This really shouldn't happen so if it is, it needs to be reported as a bug, or at least thoroughly investigated.

As for the broad matches, if they convert well, leave them in and just carry on trying to minimise their poor searches.  You should always of course be trying to "pull out" specific phrase/exact Keywords that show enough data to be worthwhile and over time this may well leave the simple broad not as useful so it can be paused/deleted.   Are you using modified broads?

I don't know exactly what financial sector you're in, but with some of them you have to be quite cautious about scheduling, and this applies to lots of other sectors as well.  With some industries you can determine pretty clear "cut-offs" for a day's schedule but with others it's much less clearly defined.  If you're selling worldwide - or even just somewhere like the States, things can be complicated by the difference in time zones.

With "doubtful" Campaigns like this, I now tend to run my Ads 24/7 and simply apply bid adjustments in the quieter hours.  This still leaves the Ads running 24/7 so you can catch the occasional "odd" conversion but the costs go way down.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi PPCSophie,

Sounds like a good plan.

What's the delivery method set for the campaign, accelerated or evenly through the day?

Best of Luck1

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Petebardo,

Its set too evenly throughout the day and its still out of budget by 5pm AND I have a substantial amount of negative keywords. So I think this will help tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!
PPCSophie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sophie, are you sure it's set to display evenly?  I've not seen an Account that "runs out" using this setting; only when the Campaign(s) are set to Accelerated.

What's your overall schedule?

Jon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes I am absolutely positive Cobnut! its not accelerated, I even double checked just now to make sure I am not crazy.

Also we are bidding on broad match keywords that I really cant not bid on because they are our top converting keywords, even though it picks up on some pretty insane search terms, BUT I try to combat it with negative keywords that I add everyday.

Right now my schedule is 8am to 10 pm and the reason is the previous schedule was 8 to 5 but we've seen conversions more than in the day after 5pm. But i have seen conversions like 4 or 5 that come in at midnight (for remarketing which is a pretty inexpensive campaign) so I havent started any advanced day parting strategies yet because right now I am collecting data.
PPCSophie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I should add that there is no trend for conversions that I have seen because we've been doing Enhanced campaigns for like 2 weeks now. Thats why i am casting a pretty wide net because people convert at all hours ive seen.
PPCSophie
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCSophie
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Sophie, well, that's just weird.  How are you determining that your budget is running out?  Has it always done this, or is it only on the new Enhanced Campaigns?  Are you making frequent budget changes?

This really shouldn't happen so if it is, it needs to be reported as a bug, or at least thoroughly investigated.

As for the broad matches, if they convert well, leave them in and just carry on trying to minimise their poor searches.  You should always of course be trying to "pull out" specific phrase/exact Keywords that show enough data to be worthwhile and over time this may well leave the simple broad not as useful so it can be paused/deleted.   Are you using modified broads?

I don't know exactly what financial sector you're in, but with some of them you have to be quite cautious about scheduling, and this applies to lots of other sectors as well.  With some industries you can determine pretty clear "cut-offs" for a day's schedule but with others it's much less clearly defined.  If you're selling worldwide - or even just somewhere like the States, things can be complicated by the difference in time zones.

With "doubtful" Campaigns like this, I now tend to run my Ads 24/7 and simply apply bid adjustments in the quieter hours.  This still leaves the Ads running 24/7 so you can catch the occasional "odd" conversion but the costs go way down.

Jon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Cobnut, right now my campaigns are paused because our IT team is not so clever & our SSL Certificates just expired, so we get that big red cautious page Google does when a website sucks.

Ohh the life of a PPC'er, Anyways thank you.
PPCSophie

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey PPCSophie,

I hate it when that happens! (Certificate expires).

I just want to mention to both you and Jon I also have a campaign set for "display evenly" that routinely used the entire budget by the end of the day. The campaign is on day parting schedule. Do you suppose that has anything to do with it?

I raised the daily budget recently, by $5 a day, and the budget does not run out now.

I hope your QS doesn't suffer from the expired certificate too long!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

The only dayparting I have going on is from 8 am to 10 pm.  I am not doing any bid adjustements or automated rules because I just got this camapign a month ago and lets say our most converting keyword is "black pants" the previous ppc manager had "black plants" as a negative.  So yeaaaa, I need to amass some data first before I can make any real dayparting.

Oh yea he was also dayparting from 9am to 5pm and I get the most conversions from 5pm to 6pm, which is the only real bid adjusting decision I can make but only off of 3 weeks of data, so to answer your question, no real day parting strategy, just a 8am to 10pm ad schedule.

And yea its pretty disappointing to get 20 to 40% CTR's with no conversions, then to know the SSL's are expired, kinda tough but thank you guys for the input.

PPCSophie