AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do my own display Ads compete against each other?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a display campaign. It only contains one Ad group with six image Ads and 3 text Ads.I have several questions. 1) Are these Ads all bidding against each other? 2) If not, what happens if I separate the Ads in two Ad Groups, one for the text Ads and the other one for the image Ads. Will they then compete agains each other?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do my own display Ads compete against each other?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

1) Are these Ads all bidding against each other?: Hi basically ads never compete with eachother as far as bidding goes. They compete with eachother for how many times they are displayed and this also depends on your ad rotation settings

2) If not, what happens if I separate the Ads in two Ad Groups, one for the text Ads and the other one for the image Ads. Will they then compete against each other?: I dont think this is a good idea, because in this case your keywords / placements will compete with each other for adspace. 

If you want to show all ads in equal proportion then you should select Rotate evenly setting. 

For more details look at ad rotation link which i have given above

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Re: Do my own display Ads compete against each other?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi joe_ba,

Display ads generally have a higher CPC than text ads, that because the image ad usually occupies more than one ad unit on the page. If you place the text ads in the same AdGroup with the image ads, you will be bidding higher than necessary on your text ads.

Not all web sites accept image ads, and not all accept all sizes of image ads. I normally create (at least) two AdGroups, one for text with a lower bid, and one for images with a higher bid. If the site does not accept image ads, the text AdGroup is still eligible. Similarly, If the site does not accept any of the image sizes you have created, the text AdGroup is still eligible.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords