AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do keywords with bad CTR impact good keywords in the same Ad Group/Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

assume we have 10 keywords inside an adgroup.

Half of them have a great CTR and converts pretty well.
Half of them are having lots of impressions, but no clicks at all, getting a terrible CTR.

I'd like to know if the keywords with a bad CTR might impact the performance of the other keywords or if they are not related?

I thought that maybe since they are impacting the overall performance of the Ads, they might, yes, impact on the performance of the other keywords as well.

Thanks,

Joao

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joao, 

Yes, it is important to learn why the other keywords have lower CTR. Based on the information provided by you, lower CTR could also be a result of low search term volume status of the keyword. So it can be a good idea to separate them, but if the low search volume keywords are very important to you, you might want to keep them in the same ad group so that they have a better chance of showing up. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sakthi,

The low CTR is not due to low search term volume. It's actually because the keywords are really bad - they are getting tons of impressions, but no clicks.
But due to the high volume of keywords we work, I'm trying to evaluate if it's worth to create something to pause keywords with lots of impressions and no clicks or if it's not worth it.

So my doubt explained in another way:

'Keyword A' performs super bad, having 1000 impressions and 0 clicks. It's impacting the CTR of the 'Ad A' but not generating costs (no clicks) 
'Keyword B' is a super good keyword with great CTR and CR.
If 'Ad A' was not impacted negatively by the bad keyword, could the good keyword perform even better?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joao, 

Is the Keyword A closely related to Keyword B? Also, maybe you are using broad match type for Keyword A. I would like to suggest the followings: 

1. Always keep the closely related keywords in an adgroup.

2. If Keyword A is important to you and closely related to Keyword B, then identify and add the negative keywords with right match type. If it is a broad match type keyword, then try changing it in such a way that it matches your ad and user search term.

3. If Keyword A is not important to you and not closely related to Keyword B, then it is a good idea to pause/remove it otherwise keep it in a separate adgroup.

I hope it works for you. 

Thanks,

Sakthi