AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do image file names effect Quality Score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have an image of delicious biscuits called yummy.jpg on a landing page targeting [chocolate cookies], would I be better renaming the image chocolate-cookies.jpg?

This is not a "may as well change it" question, I really need to know if this matters to Adwords. 

Thank you for your replies. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip R
September 2015

Re: Do image file names effect Quality Score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Philip,

I unfortunately have not tested the impact of image names on QS - unfortunately, I'm not sure that would be very easy to determine. 

That said, Landing Page Experience is what AdWords is looking for, not so much technical SEO. Technical SEO is great for landing pages, I'm sure there are signals that look at titles etc...but we just don't know to what extent. This part of QS ranking is simply yes or no.  You'll either be negatively affected or not.

If you're interested, here is some further information on LPE: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Sometimes, it's easy enough to check your current KW Diagnosis to see what Google thinks about your LPE.

"Above average or Average: If you see either of these two statuses, you're in good shape – your Quality Score won't be negatively affected by your landing page experience.

Below average: This means that your landing page experience is in need of improvement, and your Quality Score might be lower as a result. You might want to consider some changes to improve your website's landing page, using the factors discussed in this article as your guide."

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

HI Philip, just to add to Tommy's excellent reply, personally I'd strongly doubt image names would affect QS,  I'm pretty sure that Google won't penalise websites that don't use "real world" names, and relevant ones, for their image files.  Companies with large product databases will often use MPNs or other unique identifiers that have little SEO meaning and it would be wrong to criticise that behaviour.

When it comes to ALT tags, that's maybe a different matter but since these are not (usually) visible to visitors I'd still suggest that their impact would be far lower than the textural content of the site.  I'm not saying they have zero effect, but I'd suspect if they did have an effect it'd be small compared to good plain text content.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Image file names do NOT affect Quality Score.

Not a single bit.

About 3 years ago, I did a lot of testing on each and every little thing that has an impact on quality score... image files names do not. It hasn't changed since.

You can test this very easily (if you like wasting time). Just change the image file name, create a new ad group with the landing url just to force the adwords robots to crawl your page and see if there's any change in QS. There will be none. If there is, you'll come back the next day and QS will be back to where it was.

While you're at it, you can also test putting keywords in <h1> tags or in the destination url. All those are SEO tactics that do not affect Adwords. If you really want to increase QS, focus on your CTRs.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

While image file names may not have a direct impact on quality score, the alt tags you use for your images on your landing page can have an impact on the perceived quality of your landing page.

I would personally not use names that were not clearly descriptive and that a robot/spider could assign a "subject" to and I'd also use alt text for the images that matched the file names.  

For what it's worth....

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*