AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do i need to choose targeting in google display network?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

While running ads on Google Display Network do i need to choose keyword or website placement or by default the system will choose targeting?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do i need to choose targeting in google display network?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, you need to target either keywords or placements for your display ads to run. The system won't choose it for you.

Siva.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would advise to start with managed placements, where you choose the websites to run your Ads and to use some keywords , not many 4-5 per ad group.

If you do not know in advance what websites to advertise on, you can put only keywords and some other targeting like Topics ( or sub-Topics) and the system will build a theme with the targeting methods selected ( keywords + Topics) and show your ads on the intersection of those targeting methods.

Just do not use too many restrictions , like also age and sex and interests, because you could target too narrow and have very few impressions.

Also if you have only banners, some placements only accept certain sizes of banners or only text Ads so keep at least a text Ad in the Ad Group to make sure that you do not miss impressions because of this.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a situation when someone wanted to run Ads without any targeting at the minim bid, just to see if they get impressions, and Yes you can run Ads without any targeting , but it will not bring you quality traffic that converts into leads or sales.

The GDN has a lot of sites with identity hidden under the placement anonymous.google and if you do not choose targeting and do not exclude this generic placement, you can end up having a lot of clicks from virtually unknown sources.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

I hope you are trying to focus on Display Campaigns Optimizer(DCO). If are talking about something else please elaborate.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , I have over 15 conversions in the GDN and I have activated the DCO , as explained here , I should have made things more clear :

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/displayoptimizer.html

The Display Campaign Optimizer is a new tool that increases conversions by automatically managing, targeting and bidding for campaigns on the Google Display Network.

Also more about this feature here : link

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yes Adrian,

I am also a Great Fun of this tool,

I am using this tool since more than one year the time when it was in Beta features, as it helps to increase the reach of my ads and and reduce the CPA and no need to worry about excluding placements at all.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’