AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do ads running on different campaigns with different targeting methods compete each other?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we our running in our account different campaigns in certain markets. Each market has about 4 campaigns for GDN, each one with a different targeting method (e.g. categories, interests, etc.). I assume that eventually the ads from the different campaigns run on the same placements. So do they compete with each other on auctions? Or the fact that they are linked to the same account (and app for that matter) prevents them to compete in the same auctions?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
October 2016

Do ads running on different campaigns with different targeting methods compete each other?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adwords M,

GDN is different from Search in that your ad can be shown more than once on a single page. Your ads do not compete in the sense that they would drive your costs up. Generally speaking, your keywords go through a "mini-auction" to see which of your ads to enter into the general auction based on your targeting criteria and other factors, including QS. (Yes, GDN has a QS, but you will never see what that is.) In this case, more than one ad may enter the general auction. If you're running a CPM campaign, this could make a difference in your cost and ROI. If you're running a CPC campaign, I can only see that as an advantage.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

By saying "different markets" - do you mean different geographic regions?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I needed to edit this post because I had been a bit hasty with it. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adwords M,

GDN is different from Search in that your ad can be shown more than once on a single page. Your ads do not compete in the sense that they would drive your costs up. Generally speaking, your keywords go through a "mini-auction" to see which of your ads to enter into the general auction based on your targeting criteria and other factors, including QS. (Yes, GDN has a QS, but you will never see what that is.) In this case, more than one ad may enter the general auction. If you're running a CPM campaign, this could make a difference in your cost and ROI. If you're running a CPC campaign, I can only see that as an advantage.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords