AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do We have to Add Display Keywords in Remarketing Campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I just want to confirm a basic question , Do we need keywords to run remarketing campaign? If we add keywords for remarketing campaign how they will work?

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do We have to Add Display Keywords in Remarketing Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mandeep,

You can use audiences in a few different ways.

If you use site retargeting, you don't need to add keywords. You can use a tag on your site to build an audience pool of people that have visited your site. There are a lot of neat ways to segment audiences and you may even be able to import some from your Google Analytics campaign (depending on what Google Analytics tags you are using). With site retargeting, you'll set up a Remarketing campaign to show image and text ads to people who had visited your site. You can choose to exclude audiences, as well, such as customers who have already filled out a contact form or made a purchase. There are a lot of cool things you can do with remarketing.  Dynamic remarketing, for instance, allows you to show ads with the exact product that a previous visitor showed interest in. Like I said, for this campaign, you wouldn't add keywords.

You can also leverage remarketing lists for search ads (RLSA). For this campaign, you can use an existing search campaign, or build a new one. Then, you can add audiences, When you add audiences, you can decide if you want to target ALL searchers (like you would a normal search campaign) or if you want to target ONLY the audience you have added. Which method you decide to use will be determined by whether you are creating a new campaign or using an existing campaign. You probably wouldn't want to limit an existing campaign to only previous site visitors. The way RLSA works is that you continue to bid on keywords like you would a normal search campaign but then you can add bid modifiers for your audiences. So for instance, you could say, I would like to increase bids by X% if this person has already been to my site.

RLSA campaigns are great for bidding on broader terms that you might not have bid on otherwise because your audience is sort of pre-qualified, so to speak.

Hope this helps!

Here are a few more links for references:
RLSA: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en
Remarketing: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Amy,

But my concern was if i'm using remarketing tag & created remarketing list & linked it with ad-group then should I have to add keywords too? If I add then what happens, how many ads will show?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mandeep,

Are you hoping to show ads on the display network or search network? Based upon the title of your post it sounds like you are interested in showing on the display network, which would be site retargeting.

In that case you would need to create a specific Remarketing campaign and you wouldn't need to add keywords - the audience targeting will be sufficient for Google to determine who your ads should be shown to.

If you add multiple ads to your Remarketing campaign then, as long as their relevance (and your bid) are high enough to compete in auctions, then they will all show but not all at once, of course. No matter your targeting, you can only show one ad at a time.

Does that answer your question?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"No matter your targeting, you can only show one ad at a time."

I have seen many cases of double, triple or quadruple serving on the same page in the Display Network.

In the Display network, double serving is not forbidden and if one has multiple Ad groups with overlapping targeting, a single user can receive at the same time multiple ads. Here is a nice example :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Double-ad-serving-policy-violation-by-Goo...

To add to the very good advice you have already received from Amy, if you add keywords as supplementary targeting, this will restrict your serving too much, the remarketing list is already very restrictive and will allow very few clicks per day.

Want to know how much traffic you can get ? For example I have a remarketing list of 13.000 past visitors for a city, and on a monday (high traffic) this targeting with no frequency capping serves 20.000 impressions which result in around 80-90 clicks.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Mandeep;

This is a very nice question about the GDN!

Yes, you could add keywords to a Remarekting campaign, but unlike other targeting methods the OR condition would apply. When you target audience on GDN  combined with  another targeting method, the OR conditions apply.  Thus, you will expand your targeting audience. (You could see that re-marketing and other targeting methods are on  separate tabs)

And a side note; as already mentioned: the double serving does not apply on GDN., If you structure your campaign wisely and carefully, you could show your ads on all pages...

[Edit] - a correction posted in a later post on the 2nd page

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello MosheTLV, please take a look at the Venn Diagramm below with an intersection of the 2 targeting methods , keywords and remarketing list, both used as targeting in a display ad group, both with the option "Target and bid". Are you still so sure that the OR condition applies ?

http://goo.gl/1EX4IP

venn-diagram-intersection.png

Also I have experimented with intersecting targeting and impressions drop significantly so there is no targeting widening with 2 methods, both set as "target and bid".

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Or better explained , keywords as targeting in a display network ad group do not have a visible choice for "target and bid" or "bid" , but the default back-end method for keywords is "target and bid" so they induce a restriction for that display ad group.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I am with Adrian on this one.

Display keywords are not a AND/OR situation unless you specify that the remarketing list is a bid only targeting. But this then will not target your remarketing audience but rather adjust the bid if the user is on the list.

Keywords on the GDN are a target and bid, thus making them an AND in all cases if added to another targeted method. It would be interesting if they were a bid only possibility so if this does exist it would be nice to know.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Adrian;
In reference to Remarketing :Indeed, there is no default neither "target and bid" nor "bid only".
We checked that in the past with Google and the default is OR;
I will double check on the new UI design and will get back to you.

Edit: Corrected in a later post on the 2nd page of this thread

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’