AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do Paused and Deleted Campaigns Impact QS or Other Factors?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My boss thinks that tinkering with ad copy, adding and removing keywords affect the quality of the whole account and all of our ads. I have found some old articles that indicate that deleted and paused campaigns/keywords do impact Quality Score. Is that still true? What else (if anything) does tinkering around with new ads/keywords do to my active campaigns/keywords?

We have some campaigns/keywords that have performed well for years. I'm afraid that anything new would have a negative impact on those campaigns so I'm afraid to touch anything. Any advice as to what to be mindful of when starting new campaigns without harming the existing ones?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WLS D
July 2016

Re: Do Paused and Deleted Campaigns Impact QS or Other Factors?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well... As to the second part of your question:

As you mentioned, AdWords is a steady state system, Once reaching a steady state, a "harsh" change could cause performances to diverge...
On the other hand; AdWords moves fast, and you need to optimize the campaign based on  new features.
 I would not be reluctant to make changes. On the contrary: adding keywords, extensions, new ads etc. signals the systems that you optimize it continuously.  So, how can you  optimize a system which is in its nature a steady state system by  applying canhges and optimizing it? You do that gradually. In your case: add several keywords  gradually, measure performance, and optimize again (in iterations.. - The way Google does.... Smiley Surprised )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
WLS;
Past account performance does have an impact on QS, but this effect declines with time., and its "component" within the overall QS calculation is low.
I would not attribute much significance to that. Remember that the predominant component of QS is CTR.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the quick response!  

We only have 6 active campaigns. We currently have a phenomenal click through rate for our active campaigns (one is at 27%). I don't want to harm those campaigns at all.

If I start a few more new campaigns and start tinkering around with them (assuming I continue to use good practices) do you think I will see any impact on the account or the existing campaigns?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WLS D
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well... As to the second part of your question:

As you mentioned, AdWords is a steady state system, Once reaching a steady state, a "harsh" change could cause performances to diverge...
On the other hand; AdWords moves fast, and you need to optimize the campaign based on  new features.
 I would not be reluctant to make changes. On the contrary: adding keywords, extensions, new ads etc. signals the systems that you optimize it continuously.  So, how can you  optimize a system which is in its nature a steady state system by  applying canhges and optimizing it? You do that gradually. In your case: add several keywords  gradually, measure performance, and optimize again (in iterations.. - The way Google does.... Smiley Surprised )

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for that comment. I feel a little more confident going forward. I appreciate your help!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Great;
Come back soon and tell us about the campaign's progress.