AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do Negative Keywords need to be matched like normal keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi i am starting to manage my own campaigns but am not sure if i should match my negative keywords with a + or " like you would do with a normal keyword.

Also do you need negative keywords for an exact match campaign?

Any advice or help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Marc

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do Negative Keywords need to be matched like normal keywords?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I am not entirely sure about your question but if you are adding negative from adwords interface then you just add negatives like below

For broad negative : Negative keyword (this will block your ad from all search terms which include Negative or keyword)

For Phrase negative: "Negative keyword" (this will block your ad from all search terms which include "Negative keyword" this whole phrase with or without other words)

For Exact negative : [Negative keyword] (this will block your ad from all search terms which include negative keyword withing any other words)

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry i will try and be more specific.

EG - If i am running a broad match campaign with the keyword +Apple +macbook how out of the following should i list my negative keywords -

[Free Apple macbook]
Free apple mackbook

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi
Well I am guessing you dont want your ads to show up on search terms which consist free. In this case you can just have free as negative broad.
Hope this helps
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So just simply leave it as -

Free

Also do you need negative keywords for exact match campaigns?

Thank you for your help.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

In general, I stick to adding only negatives that I want to block. Thus, in your two examples, there is one word you're trying to block--the word free. I would add free as a negative broad match keyword to the campaign.

On the other hand, if you offer something like free shipping or free support and you want searches for those things to trigger your ads, then you don't want to block searches for the word free. In that case, you'd want to block the entire search strings in your examples.

Whether you block those as Phrase or Exact match is up to you. I would try blocking them as Exact match and then watching my search query report for a week or so. If I was still getting too many unwanted searches, I would add additional negative search strings or expand the blocking on the existing negatives to Phrase match.

So, in answer to your original question, yes, you should use "match types" when you create your negative keywords, based on what traffic you're trying to block. However, modified broad match (with the + sign) is not an option for negative keywords--you need to choose broad, "phrase", or [exact] match.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*