AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Do 'Low Search Volume' Keywords Harm Quality Score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I have a number of low searh quality keywords in my account, often built off combing through SQRs looking to add more exact matches. I have heard/read a few discussions that such keywords do however negatively impact an ad-groups quality score.

What's everyones opinion? Should you allow these keywords to run or should you pause them? Some have accrued some impressions, others none.

Thanks,

Nicky

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Do 'Low Search Volume' Keywords Harm Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Nicky,

Low search volume keywords are the ones who does not get searches. I would advice you to filter your keywords to low search volume and look at the quality score fr each keyword. If the keyword is having good quality score you can leave them as it is because they contribute positivly to overall campaign quality score.

You can pause low search volume keywords with low quality score.

Low search volume generally gain very less impressions with less click and high ctr.. fr example 10 impressions 1 click.. I would prefer keep these keywords because ctr is high here..

Low search volume keywords with only impressions and less quality score can be pause.

You can also test differrnt variations of low search volume keywords to test of they work.

Thats the way how I deal with these keywords.

- Neha

Excuse typos using cell phone
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nicky,

QS is calculated based on several facts, but always per keyword. AdWords by attributing a QS just want to make sure advertisers deliver a good message and proper landing page experience to their audience. If AdWords were to penalize keywords by looking at the AdGroup, that would be a bad way of providing quality results.

This goes to your example of "low search volume", but also for any other.

To better understand how QS is calculated, I suggest you have a look at Google Check and Understand Quality Score page.

Diogo

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Nicky,

Low search volume keywords are the ones who does not get searches. I would advice you to filter your keywords to low search volume and look at the quality score fr each keyword. If the keyword is having good quality score you can leave them as it is because they contribute positivly to overall campaign quality score.

You can pause low search volume keywords with low quality score.

Low search volume generally gain very less impressions with less click and high ctr.. fr example 10 impressions 1 click.. I would prefer keep these keywords because ctr is high here..

Low search volume keywords with only impressions and less quality score can be pause.

You can also test differrnt variations of low search volume keywords to test of they work.

Thats the way how I deal with these keywords.

- Neha

Excuse typos using cell phone
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Neha,

Thanks for your response.

Nicky

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nicky,

I stress that Google feeds the myth about Quality Score at Account level & AdGroup level by accepting this as a "solution".

From my experience, there's no proof of this, and I see no point of saying we should keep a certain keyword on an AdGroup just to bring value to other keywords in the same AdGroup.

Again, if AdWords were to do this, it would be the worst practice. It would mean, advertisers could improve "low quality" ads QS by just feeding the same AdGroup with a bunch of good ones. Thankfully, that's not truth.

A simple test is to create an AdGroup with 2 keywords and one single ad. Then make sure one of the keywords is exact match and a great fit for the ad and correspondent landing page. The other keyword should be the opposite, broad and remotely related to the ad and landing page. The result to this test is a 10 QS to the good one and a 3 QS to the poor. Don't worry, that 10 will be safe, even right beside the 3.

Diogo

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Don't know why Google have different search policy for the Search Camps vs Shopping Camps as we all know that LSV policy only apply over Search Camps and now at Shopping camps may be little prudent action.

I think its time to remove the LSV tag and if PLA ads are showing then there should be a search camps ads suppose to be trigger as well....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if the there are no keywords for my campaigns that would not be low volume?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread is four years old and now closed to new replies. Please make a new help inquiry (your own thread) if you wish to gain assistance.  

Thanks.