5.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Im using Interests&remarketing for my display campaigns because targeting with keywords doesn't give me enough clicks, however how is it possible that half of my clicks are from several websites that only containt flash games and my targeting criteria is Home&Garden. Should I manually exclude all these sites or should I change targeting criteria. And if I blocked all these gaming sites, would adwords find a way to generate same amount of impressions or should I expect a significant drop?

Thank you,

MM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magnet M
September 2015

Re: Display targeting

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I find that irrelevant mobile apps, often games, can be a big problem on the display network, and it doesn't seem to matter which targeting method(s) you're using (unless you're only allowing your ads to show on certain specific sites). AdWords tends to favor mobile game placements because they tend to generate a lot of clicks.

Manually excluding these placements site-by-site can be very time consuming since new ones tend to come along regularly and you'll start to feel like you're playing "whack-a-mole." Depending on whether you're willing to stop showing entirely on apps or mobile, these are the most efficient ways I've found to exclude these kind of placements:

1. Add "Games" as a topic exclusion.

2. Under site category options, exclude "GMob Mobile App non-interstitial." Also add adsenseformobileapps.com as a site exclusion. (This will keep your ad from appearing on apps.)

3. In the device settings for your campaign, set your mobile bid to -100%. This will keep your ad from showing on mobile devices, so if mobile performs well for you apart from games, you wouldn't want to take this step.

I find that impressions do tend to drop when I take these steps, but conversion rate and ROI increases. You won't know for your campaigns specifically until you try it, but by looking at your daily budget you can get a clue about what might happen in advance. If you've been spending your daily budget each day, the games may be preventing your ads from appearing on more relevant sites and once excluded the increase in impressions on more relevant sites will make up for the drop. But if your actual spend is well below your daily budget, you're likely already maximizing your ability to show for more relevant placements.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magnet M
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I find that irrelevant mobile apps, often games, can be a big problem on the display network, and it doesn't seem to matter which targeting method(s) you're using (unless you're only allowing your ads to show on certain specific sites). AdWords tends to favor mobile game placements because they tend to generate a lot of clicks.

Manually excluding these placements site-by-site can be very time consuming since new ones tend to come along regularly and you'll start to feel like you're playing "whack-a-mole." Depending on whether you're willing to stop showing entirely on apps or mobile, these are the most efficient ways I've found to exclude these kind of placements:

1. Add "Games" as a topic exclusion.

2. Under site category options, exclude "GMob Mobile App non-interstitial." Also add adsenseformobileapps.com as a site exclusion. (This will keep your ad from appearing on apps.)

3. In the device settings for your campaign, set your mobile bid to -100%. This will keep your ad from showing on mobile devices, so if mobile performs well for you apart from games, you wouldn't want to take this step.

I find that impressions do tend to drop when I take these steps, but conversion rate and ROI increases. You won't know for your campaigns specifically until you try it, but by looking at your daily budget you can get a clue about what might happen in advance. If you've been spending your daily budget each day, the games may be preventing your ads from appearing on more relevant sites and once excluded the increase in impressions on more relevant sites will make up for the drop. But if your actual spend is well below your daily budget, you're likely already maximizing your ability to show for more relevant placements.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, now my clicks gained quality without losing quantity! Maybe there are other categories similar to games that don't produce reliable clicks?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
You can definitely experiment with excluding other topics and see how it works out. As long as you're not bidding on audiences (a remarketing list, for example), I think it's worth excluding any topic that isn't relevant to your business.