Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display performing better than Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI all,

I'm facing a strange case with one of my client. We had some issue few weeks ago because of the landing page so we decided to change it in order to have a better quality and a better user experience. 

From now two weeks, I decided to launch again GDN (which was stopped 3 months ago) in order to get more traffic to their website. Strange enough, my current GDN campaign is doing much more better than my Search campaigns.

Indeed, my main goal is to get leads for insurance online. Although my Search campaigns is doing that great, my Display campaigns is outstanding.Therefore, I was wondering if you have some ideas about the reason why this is the case and how to improve my Search campaigns to catch up my GDN results?

According to me. the main reason is that people are more confident on the GDN because they can see the logo of the company and also interesting images/texts at the same time.

PS: The landing page is a SPECIFIC website for this type of insurance. It doesn't lead to the main website of the company!

Thanks a lot

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display performing better than Search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Thery,

I have similar experiences and I think this happens (GDN performing very well) when the purchase decision by a customer involves a longer research/search phase.

I experienced the same for clients from the hospitality industry (vacation/tours) where like insurance, customers tend to gather more information by visiting different websites before making the purchase decision.

And this is the time when they are exposed to ads on the display network, as many information sharing websites are part of GDN.

It’s like a customer is reading about the advantages of health insurance on a site, suddenly sees a health insurance ad very next to the content, clicks on it and fills up the lead form.

Are you running a remarketing campaign for your client now? If not start it as early as possible, as you now know your customers are present on the GDN.

Deepak

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Thery,

What I conclude from your query is your GDN is overlapping the performance of search campaign. If this is true, I have some queries.

1) Are you using same landing page for both search and GDN?
2) Are you targeting same keywords within these campaigns?
3) Have you tried to analyze the analytics data for both these campaigns?
4) In search campaign, what type of match types are you using?

I did face a similar issue. However, I chose to target different keywords for both these campaigns. The reason for this was to identify and measure both these campaigns on different basis.

I tried to use different landing pages for both these campaigns. It helped me. Besides, I tried different max. bidding for both of them. This helped me in getting good responses from both the campaigns, without any overlapping.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thery B,

Yes, you can improve your Search Campaigns result as compared to Display Campaigns.
You need to check all the below stats:- like
1) Your Search campaigns Avg. Position (might be your display campaigns avg. position is good as compared to search campaigns).
if yes, then you have to increase your campaign avg. position, You can used your search campaign CPC bidding then it need to increase keywords bids. Add more keywords, which has good search volume. Also increase adgroup level bid, which is help to perform search campaigns.
If this strategy is not working then change your bidding strategy like "TOP of the Page bid" or "Target CPA". It will working well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

@Deepak
I had planned to launch Remarketing today or tomorrow depending on my schedule. However, it will only strengthen the current position as GDN > Search for this campaign.
I'm trying hardly to boost my Search Campaign which has huge budget.
Your answer is very interesting and coherent by the way, thanks for making it clearer.

@Kapil

1) My landing page has changed and is no longer the same one as before (since Friday). I have created different tabs with different URLs in order to track better the performances of my keywords. However, the bounce rate is still relatively high due to website troubles.

2) My GDN campaigns include the best performing keywords of my search campaigns. However, I have much more keywords for my Search because I have enough budget to try to reach a large number of people and then narrow for the best performing keywords.

3) What do you mean precisely by "Analyzing analytics data"? I'm using Analytics and following very carefully the different trends/evolution of my main metrics (CTR, CPC, CPL, BR and so on). I'm probably missing some analytic points and if you want to share them ... Smiley Happy

4) I've launched mainly "broad modifier" keywords in order to reach the most people I can while optimizing with negative keywords obviously. I still don't reach my budget with this impressive number of keywords.

Using different landing pages for both GDN and Search campaigns is what I'm currently doing. My GDN campaign has only one landing page whereas my Search has several (different tabs like i said).

Thanks a lot for the time you take to answer me!

Thery

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Thery,

Have you checked the impression share of your search campaign? Do you have scope for expansion?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In terms of LIS Budget, I don't really have scope for expansion given that I'm bidding 15-20% above "Top Estimated First Page Bid". However, I have scope for LIS Rank but I face some trouble to increase my position (landing page of the client not appropriate enough).

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
landing page quality is a big factor when you want to increase your position.

But you can try to increase the CTR to get better ad rank as it will directly impact quality score.

You have mentioned you are using modified broad match keywords. Trying a more restricted match type (phrase or exact - possibly in a new campaign) and using appropriate negative keywords in your present BMM campaigns can help you to achieve this. This may not help you to spend more but it will help you to increase the efficiency of your search campaigns.

My thoughts

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
I also think running a re marketing campaign in GDN would work better in your scenario. I also got a client in Transport section who benefit largely using CPM and re-marketing. I think with insurance sector you might able to get some good results using this

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I know... I'm fighting for more than 1 month for this landing page. but it seems to be efficient on the GDN. Maybe the quality of the leads are not that good but I don't really know how to measure it (do I have to ask them?).

For the keywords, I start always with broad modifier and add later exact/phrase keywords when I have enough data. I've done my best concerning QS and CTR (which has increased massively during the last weeks) but I can;t do more with that landing page.

I really enjoy this talk with you, very interesting!