AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display or Search network for an Acupuncture clinic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure whether to post one long paragraph with all my questions in it, or divide it into smaller questions and ask one by one. Anyway, here is the large paragraph-if it doesn't work, I'll edit it down into smaller units: 

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I started using Adwords with a Search campaign. In my field the most useful clicks cost one GBP each and sometimes even a little bit more.  I got were four or five clicks a day. I have been using Adwords for Dummies which suggests that a lead-generation business should first become profitable in the cheaper display network before moving into search. So after spending 40£ and a few weeks in Search I switched to Display. I know that it is not regarded as best practice to simply copy a search campaign for the display network, and that the ads are supposed to be rewritten. But I didn’t know how to do this so I just cloned the search campaign. Anyway the clicks in Display are half the price of the search network, so it is indeed cheaper. I get twice the number of clicks as in the search network, with my daily budget. I suppose it is good for driving traffic to my website, but if the traffic does not convert (which it so far has not) then just clicks and just traffic are not that useful. I can’t just keep pouring money into, with no return. I know that it takes time at the beginning and one has to be prepared to lose some money a tthe start but the question is how much money is too much? Before I read Adwords for dummies I read a book which had a secion on PPC for a business simliar to mine. It said that one conversion for 75 click is usual for that business. But based on what I have subsequently read about PPC that seems a bit simplistic. That 1/75 was for psychotherapists  in the US, even the same business in the Uk has different conditions, beacuase of the NHS etc. Also, I don’t know where they got that number from. At that rate in my business I would have to spend 75 gbp to get one patient. 

That is not great but is better than no patients, which is what I have at the moment. The problem here is that there are so many variables and therefore so many areas to trouble-shoot:

1. Is it a website issue?
  2. Something wrong with my adwords campain?
  3. Normal spend for my industry?

For the last one I have no way of knowing because there are no data for that. Any advice?

I have 121 clicks. I have spent £70 gbp in total

THANKS!!!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eric c
September 2015

Re: Display or Search network for an Acupuncture clinic?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello, Eric.

It's the same for any business. If there is enough search volume, in your area of interest, for queries which clearly denote a "buying intent" (in your case setting up an appointment intent), you can go for search.

If the budget is low, you'll have to pick exact matches, write great ads, and have a very convincing and trustworthy website that can really seal the deal for you.

Conversely, if there is not much search volume, you could use display ads. Not text clones from your search campaign, but nice, enticing image ads. And then again, your website needs to really seal the deal.

The problem with the display ads is that you have to be careful how you target them. Ideally, you should hand-pick a few websites which get a decent amount of traffic (Google AdPlanner can help with that) and which you suspect may attract potential patients.

Make sure you find good websites (even pages on those websites), target the right areas (as tight around your practice as you think it would be appropriate) and the right times of day. If you think you may have greater success with a certain gender or age group, you can restrict your ads to target that alone.

And in any situation, make sure you have a great G+ page and you're featured in Google Local as well.

It is a long road, but with some care, patience and ultimately an accommodating budget, it can be done.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I wonder if there is not a policy problem with acupuncture. All post about studies I read about research says it does not more than the placebo effect.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110324104147.htm

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello;
Please share your website URL
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe

Thank you very much for your help.

http://blue-dragon-acupuncture.com/home/Welcome.html

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I'll have to check if acupuncture is allowed to be promoted by the healthcare section of the Policy.
I'll get back to you on that;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello again;
Google replied that acupuncture is allowed.
However, Please note that you also must comply with the "advertiser claims" section of the Policy : misleading claims about "healing effectiveness:" are not allowed!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eric c
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello, Eric.

It's the same for any business. If there is enough search volume, in your area of interest, for queries which clearly denote a "buying intent" (in your case setting up an appointment intent), you can go for search.

If the budget is low, you'll have to pick exact matches, write great ads, and have a very convincing and trustworthy website that can really seal the deal for you.

Conversely, if there is not much search volume, you could use display ads. Not text clones from your search campaign, but nice, enticing image ads. And then again, your website needs to really seal the deal.

The problem with the display ads is that you have to be careful how you target them. Ideally, you should hand-pick a few websites which get a decent amount of traffic (Google AdPlanner can help with that) and which you suspect may attract potential patients.

Make sure you find good websites (even pages on those websites), target the right areas (as tight around your practice as you think it would be appropriate) and the right times of day. If you think you may have greater success with a certain gender or age group, you can restrict your ads to target that alone.

And in any situation, make sure you have a great G+ page and you're featured in Google Local as well.

It is a long road, but with some care, patience and ultimately an accommodating budget, it can be done.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin, sorry for the late reply. I actually replied on the same day via email, but the email bounced back twice, so I have pasted it below:

Thank you Adwiser (very clever pun by the way -advisor Adwiser etc!) for the very kind advice. I was really enjoying using the Search network because I felt confident understanding the metrics, seeing my ads appear next to search results and tweaking the ads etc. Conversely I felt really at a loss with the Display network, despite the fact that it is cheaper, so I ended up taking a long break from Adwords out of desperation.

You are much Wiser than Adwords for Dummies Smiley Happy I have also found the Wordstream blog extremely useful. Thank you again!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Thank you, Eric, I'm happy my advice helped.

Howie's a great guy (AdWords for dummies' author), and has a lot more experience with AdWords than I do (I've read his book as well).

As for the nickname, I came up with it at the very beginning (2008 IIRC), when I helped a friend put his AdWords account to better use than he was doing at that time (his account was set up and forgotten by a company). I looked at some reports & results and thought that there must be a better / smarter way to deal with that AdWords account and this one came up, among others which were either too cocky or not catchy enough Smiley Happy. Not that AdWiser is too tame, mind you Smiley Happy.

Good luck!