AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display network quality score, Relative CTR and increasing Display impression share %

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running on Display Network.

My stats are as follows

http://screencloud.net/v/kgP5

I have a few questions

1. Should i look at CTR or Active Viewable CTR?

2. Is Relative CTR calculated based on CTR or Viewable CTR?

3. I eliminated a lot of bad placements like flashlight apps which were giving me 100% CTR is my Relative CTR calculation still including CTR of eliminated placements?

3. My Relative CTR is 2-3x. Does it mean it is double to triple the average? And i suppose pretty good?

4. If my Relative CTR is so good why am i only getting <10% of impressions?

5. How can i check Quality Score for Display ads?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Display network quality score, Relative CTR and increasing Display impression share %

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Eric, how are things?

Very nice questions. A lot of people don't watch with care for Display.

Eric K wrote:

You should look at both. You should try and see the difference between them. A huge gap could indicate low performing websites.

Viewable metrics are part of Google Active View technology, where it can measure if your ads were viewable or not on the user screen. There are some conditions. I recommend the reading on the articles below:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6085471?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3499086

Eric K wrote:

Relative CTR measures how your ads perform on Display Network sites compared to other ads on the same sites. It's still your normal calculation for CTR compared to other competitors.

What it is: Relative CTR is your clickthrough rate divided by the average clickthrough rate of all advertisers on the websites that show your ads.
Example: A Relative CTR of 1x means that your CTR equals the average CTR of all advertisers in the same section of a website.
Why use it: Relative CTR can help you understand campaign and ad group performance, particularly if you have little or no conversion information.

(unfortunately the article about relative ctr at the help center does not exist anymore)

Eric K wrote:

3. I eliminated a lot of bad placements like flashlight apps which were giving me 100% CTR is my Relative CTR calculation still including CTR of eliminated placements?

Yes and no. The excluded placements will be used on Relative CTR when viewing data for dates before the exclusion. After you made the exclusion the relative ctr will not count them anymore.

Eric K wrote:

Relative CTR% is related to your performance and how well your ad connects with the user, while Impressions Share is related to ads reach and exposure. Low impression share could mean a few things:

• Low budget for the amount of traffic available
  • Very wild placements segmentation

Display Network is a HUUUUGE place, so depending on how you've set your display segmentation, analyzing Impression Share could be misleading, but that doesn't mean you have bad results.

You'll get high Impressions Share specially when using Managed Placements.

Eric K wrote:

Quality Score for Display Network is not available. Google don't open this information for the users, that's why it's important to keep track of your CTR/Relative CTR/Viewable CTR, but you can learn more about Display quality and auction here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2996564?hl=en

Hope this helps Smiley Very Happy

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Display network quality score, Relative CTR and increasing Display impression share %

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Eric, how are things?

Very nice questions. A lot of people don't watch with care for Display.

Eric K wrote:

You should look at both. You should try and see the difference between them. A huge gap could indicate low performing websites.

Viewable metrics are part of Google Active View technology, where it can measure if your ads were viewable or not on the user screen. There are some conditions. I recommend the reading on the articles below:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6085471?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3499086

Eric K wrote:

Relative CTR measures how your ads perform on Display Network sites compared to other ads on the same sites. It's still your normal calculation for CTR compared to other competitors.

What it is: Relative CTR is your clickthrough rate divided by the average clickthrough rate of all advertisers on the websites that show your ads.
Example: A Relative CTR of 1x means that your CTR equals the average CTR of all advertisers in the same section of a website.
Why use it: Relative CTR can help you understand campaign and ad group performance, particularly if you have little or no conversion information.

(unfortunately the article about relative ctr at the help center does not exist anymore)

Eric K wrote:

Yes and no. The excluded placements will be used on Relative CTR when viewing data for dates before the exclusion. After you made the exclusion the relative ctr will not count them anymore.

Eric K wrote:

Relative CTR% is related to your performance and how well your ad connects with the user, while Impressions Share is related to ads reach and exposure. Low impression share could mean a few things:

• Low budget for the amount of traffic available
  • Very wild placements segmentation

Display Network is a HUUUUGE place, so depending on how you've set your display segmentation, analyzing Impression Share could be misleading, but that doesn't mean you have bad results.

You'll get high Impressions Share specially when using Managed Placements.

Eric K wrote:

Quality Score for Display Network is not available. Google don't open this information for the users, that's why it's important to keep track of your CTR/Relative CTR/Viewable CTR, but you can learn more about Display quality and auction here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2996564?hl=en

Hope this helps Smiley Very Happy

_

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Leandro,

Im not sure i understand.

"Very wild placements segmentation" - What do you mean by that?

"You'll get high Impressions Share specially when using Managed Placements." - If i have 5 sites where i want to get more impressions i would increase CPC. Is there another way?

Also, regarding % of impressions. Is % of impressions calculated for my specific demo or is it general number of impressions available on the site? For example site has 1000/day but my targeting is women who are older than 30. Is % of impressions calculated as % of only for 30+ women or total impressions shown?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Eric,

Eric K wrote:

"Very wild placements segmentation" - What do you mean by that?

This was for question 4. By "wild segmentation" I meant to say that: your current settings allows to appear on so many websites through out the display network, that your ads are only getting 10% or less impressions from the total universe of potencial impressions you can receive. You should narrow your settings down by adding excluded placements, excluded categories and more, so that you have a less wild range of websites to appear. This will sure make your I.S go higher.

Let me know if this answer it

Eric K wrote:

"You'll get high Impressions Share specially when using Managed Placements." - If i have 5 sites where i want to get more impressions i would increase CPC. Is there another way?

For more impressions first thing to do is to increase your budget.

Second thing to do is to find what are your goals. If you are planning on have more IMPRESSIONS, you should consider using CPM (cost per thousands impressions) bidding and not CPC. IF you want to have more impressions while bidding on CPC model, you actually need to lower your CPC, so that you budget can last longer making you appear more times until you run out of money.

Eric K wrote:

Also, regarding % of impressions. Is % of impressions calculated for my specific demo or is it general number of impressions available on the site? For example site has 1000/day but my targeting is women who are older than 30. Is % of impressions calculated as % of only for 30+ women or total impressions shown?

It will be calculated considering your targeting options, in this case, only impressions for 30+ women, and not the total impressions.

Impressions Share is the number of impressions you've received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive. IF you've set targeting like 30+ women, you're only eligible to receive impressions for the audience and criteria 

Let me know if there's any more doubts to it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually my campaigns are pretty narrowly targeted. Im using topic, exclusion lists, age, gender.

Also, my daily budget is set for $250/day but im barely spending $20/day. Still my impression share is around 10%.

I am actually looking for more conversions/website sign ups. But to get those i would need more impressions->more clicks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Eric, If you have budget to spend I think it might be something related to bid, and in this case you should increase bids as you previously mentioned. Increase your bids and lats test them.

Now, don't think that more impressions > more clicks. They're not entirely related. You can have more clicks with the same or even less impressions, if you try different creatives or even different segmentation. It's all about test and quality and not volume Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.
_