4.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display network mobile apps good CTR no conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running a display campaign in mobile apps only. I'm advertising a mobile web app for iOS. The operating system/device targeting is ok, I'm testing new ad content constantly, as for placement I manually chose relevant apps because the random ones or appstore categories did not work. I'm having great CTR (about 3%), but for some reason no conversions. Have you got any ideas why it is so? What may be the cause of the problem? I'd be grateful for all kinds of tips/hints/ideas.Please let me know if I need to provide more you with more info about the campaigns. Thank you! Marta

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display network mobile apps good CTR no conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
It seems that your doing everything by the book, Two points to consider;

1. Adding keywords in addition to placements  - to target only relevant pages (within placements) that have content that matches the theme of keywords;
  2. Is your landing page designed / set to be attractive for users looking for the product? My "feeling" is that the landing page is the issue here.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
thanks a lot for your help, the landing page might indeed be a problem.
Just a quick few more questions:
- is it possible to add keywords to placement when you advertise in mobile apps only? I believe this option is available for all feature option only
- as for choosing the placements manually, I have a feeling that Placement Tool does not work very well. Do you have any recommendations for that?

Mobile apps campaign lack of conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again,

I posted a similar subject before but accidentally put it as solved which probably discouraged other responses. 

My problem concerns a campaign - Display Network only - only Mobile Apps

I am advertising a web-based reward app for iOS

Problem: good CTR, no conversions

What I tried out already:

- different text ads

- image ads

- placements: AppStore categories, AppStore random apps, iOS very carefully manually selected apps relevant to our app's audience

Have you had similar problems? Can you see what the main flaw might be?

Or maybe AdWords is not the right channel for me?

Thanks a lot,

Marta

Re: Mobile apps campaign lack of conversions

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

For convenience I merged the two discussions; and as requested, I have removed the "solution" 

Please do not open a new discussion on the same topic;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again;

As for your follow-ups:

Quoting the documentation:

• >>"Mobile app campaigns created in this way will rely on contextual targeting to show in apps. That is, your ads will be matched to mobile apps and mobile sites on the Display Network using the same contextual targeting guidelines that are used to show your ads on computers, based on the keywords you choose for your campaign"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722057?hl=en;

Could you elaborate what do you mean by saying "Placement Tool does not work very well. ..."

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Thank you for combining both threads into 1 discussion, I wasn't sure about how to do it.
As for Placement Tool, whenever I enter a keyword that consists of more than 1 words, I get very irrelevant results (until now I was looking only in mobile apps results). Do you know any blogs or articles that mention best practices in using Placement Tool?
Thank you again for your help
Marat

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi there again;
Try this revised help center article:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471191

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes, thank you, I know all the instructions of how to do it, it's great to read through them again. The thing is I was asking if anyone from the community encountered similar problems or have some individual tips/methods on how to:
- improve conversions
- successfully use Placement Tool

just like you replied in your first email. Your feelings, ideas, and own experiences rather than Google instructions. I'd be very grateful for help.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hmm...I don't have a specific one. A good place to start is the user articles section of our community. (On the upper navigation bar).  Many good articles there on optimization;