1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display network image ads / ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's the best way to group ad images? 1 ad size per adgroup or is it ok to put them all in one? Also what about the campaigns? Would it be more effective to have a campaign per ad size?

Also how much does QS play into the ad rank for display? Is it more focused around CTR x bid or does the LP / QS actually impact delivery heavily?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display network image ads / ad groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi stanna,

Consider grouping your images by the number of ad units they occupy. Your image ads compete with text ads. The size of a text ad is considered to be 1 unit. If your image occupies 2 ad units, you need to bid accordingly higher for placement. Since you can't bid separately on each ad, splitting up into AdGroups according to the number of ad units they occupy gives you more flexibility in bidding.

QS for the DN is calculated the same as for search. We just don't get to see that QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have 2-3 diff image ads of varying sizes per ad group and my budget is high and my cpc is high, yet my display impression share is only 15% and it says the loss is because of ad rank.

I'm paying only half the cpc of my bid - so if the ad rank was low, why would it not charge more cpc to fill the extra budget that's missing?

I'm not sure how to spend all my budget, even though my bids are high and budget is high and CTR mulitplier is 1.2x.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Stanna,

Do you also have text ads in the campaign as a fallback when none of the image ads are eligible? Are you targeting with keywords or topics/interests? Are you using managed or automatic placements?

Just a few things to look at.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't have text ads in all the groups, I do in some. Usually they aren't as profitable as the image ads.

I'm doing just keyword targetting and going very broad with 1 word keywords using automatic placements.