Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display network: how to get average cpc for a group of keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

this is the situation. A new customer that has never used Adwords wants to start using it for his website. He wants to know from me what would be the average cpc for the single/group of keywords on the display network (only) before starting to advertise.

I tried to figure it out (like the average cpc you get for the Google's search network only) but i failed.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display network: how to get average cpc for a group of keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marcin, this is really tough.

As you're probably aware, the Keyword Planner only gives estimates for search, not Display but even if it could give you GDN estimates, I'd suggest you talk your client round to a different approach.

Rather than concentrating on CPCs, try to encourage your client to think in terms of goals and objectives with a target Return on Investment, then suggest a plan with a timeline to test against those goals.  So, for example, if they sell "widgets" you might agree a goal that is to sell "200 widgets per month at a cost of less than £500".  You'd set up your Campaigns and aim for this goal.  If you don't reach it in the first month, but the figures are heading in the right direction, you can optimise your Campaigns to reach (or exceed) that goal.

Thinking in terms of CPC is rarely an effective way to approach AdWords because the clicks on their own mean very little; it's the goals that are important, whether they are sales, sign-ups, leads or store visits.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Display network: how to get average cpc for a group of keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Another strategy is to do an extremely small campaign (not much more than a cup of coffee per day!) - and let it run for a week. Then you'll have some real figures to give them, for a very modest outlay. You'll have learned a lot from it too!