Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display location settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have opened display campaign targeting only one country (settings: People in my exact location), but I see that some of the websites in the automatic placements are domains in different countries. The targeting method is keywords, written in the language of the country I target. Do you know how could I prevent to show our ads in other country web sites? Is there a way to say only target websites based in this country?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Display location settings

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

No worries! Since, your ads are showing in placements outside your targeted location, it doesn't mean they are appearing to people located outside your targeted location. Indeed, your ads are only showing to people in your targeted place, because the location settings in your case is related to the user not the placement.

For instance, if you are targeting England and you are bidding on the keyword "buy car". Your ad can show for users from England who browsing website about buying cars in the USA or any area. Your ads will show anywhere on the Google display network to the users in your targeted area.

There is no option in AdWords to target placements per country, but you can target placements manually. You can tell adwords what placement you want your ads to be shown on. For example you can pick some of the biggest sites in your targeted location and target them as managed placement.

On the other hand you can exclude placements that you don't like your ad to be placed on. I would recommend reading about managed placement here:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6051096?hl=en&rd=1

Re: Display location settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi and thanks for your reply!

To be honest the "non national" websites are getting quite expensive and as you gave the example with the cars, we are not quite interested to target people searching for a car in the USA, if we sell those in the UK... But I understand that there is no way to change that and the manual targeting still limits too much the reach... What I was hoping for was to take the best performing sites and add them as manual selections once the campaign has generated enough history data, but for now all I see are many web sites with low CTR... The target methods I´ve chosen are 1 ad group with keywords + topics and another with interests + topics, but for now we haven´t got many conversions. Do you know where I could get some target recommendations for a business located in a specific country, in the education sector and where conversion = fill in a form?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!