AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display keywords vs. managed placements for text ads -- the entire ad unit?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

When using text ads on display network with display keywords as the  targeting method, an ad unit usually shows multiple ads from different advertisers.

So you would "share" the ad unit with the other advertisers.

By contrast, when using image ads, the entire ad unit is taken up by one ad.

So when comparing text and image ads, with an image ad you would need to outbid the expected return of 2-3 other advertisers to with an auction for that impression, since it would take up the entire ad unit.

My question is not about image ads, but about targeting methods with text ads.

If I remember correctly, back in 2005-2006, when using managed placements as the targeting method, the text ad would occupy the entire ad unit. So the bidding dynamic of text ads with managed placements would be close to that of image ads.

Is it still the case today?

If I have a text ad and use managed placements as the targeting method, would my text ad take up the entire ad unit if it won the auction? Or would it behave the same way as if I were using display keywords for targeting?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display keywords vs. managed placements for text ads -- the entire ad unit?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@bcc1357;

>>"If I remember correctly, back in 2005-2006, when using managed placements as the targeting method, the text ad would occupy the entire ad unit. So the bidding dynamic of text ads with managed placements would be close to that of image ads.

NO. The display network today is almost entirely about  image ads / banners. It's correct, though, that the basic ad-slot / unit is still a text ad. But, I would not recommend users  to launch a display campaign with text ads only. Text ads are added to a display  campaign as the "last ad in the chain" only in case the advertiser wins the auction on a page  (the publisher)   still allocates a slot for a  text ad. Today  -  with an array of banners   available on display -  text ads on display are phasing out.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hmm, that might be true, but it's not even close to the question I was asking.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Well... It goes without saying that if you have so many banner sizes, the cost of a banner ad is higher (even much higher) than of a single ad unit.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Again, that's not what I'm talking about at all. Not even close.

I'm talking about the case of sharing an ad unit impression with other advertisers vs. occupying the entire ad unit, and how targeting methods affect that. If they affect that or not.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Again, how ads units are allocated on a page is up to the publisher (AdSense). But, since you mentioned the early days, my point is, that today, the number of ad slots allocated to text ads, is by far less than in the early days and I would recommend to focus on image / banner ads.
Would that affect the targeting method - No. It would affect only the bid.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

"Again, how ads units are allocated on a page is up to the publisher" ... this still misses the question completely.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@bcc1357;

Let's recap to clarify;

• If you use an ad text, it would occupy only one ad  unit, if this was available on the publisher site.  The text ad unit could come in several formats as allocated by the publisher, but it would always be one ad unit. (Image ads and banners occupy more than one ad unit, and as mentioned today they are much more popular than text ads)
  • If you won the auction for an ad text, it would be only if the publisher allows an ad  slot for a text ad (i.e. The publisher would allocate one ad unit on the site. ) 
  • To your followup question: Whether targeting methods  could affect  if  a text ad could occupy more than one ad unit - I answered: No.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dude, here is an example. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Just an example taken from Google support pages https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1208016?hl=en , but that doesn't matter. Just a typical ad unit.

adwords_1208016e_text_ad

Three ads by different advertisers shown in a 250x250 ad unit.

Other times, only one text ad would be shown in the ad unit. That would happen when an ad has ad rank high enough to warrant being the sole ad in the ad unit. That also happens when buying based on CPM.

And that also was the case (I believe) in the past when using placement targeting.

So the question is: when using placement targeting today would the ad be the only one shown like it happens with image ads or with cpm bidding?

That's it. That's the question. Not whether image ads are better or not. Not whether publishers have multiple ad units on a page or not. Not anything else you mentioned so far.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@bcc1357;

I think we need to straighten   the terminology. An ad-unit is an AdSense  term. (You cannot avoid the publisher side of the equation on the GDN).  The basic ad unit is a text ad-unit. The ad unit in your example consists of 3 text ads. 

>>A text ad typically includes a title that's also a clickable link to a webpage, one or two lines of text, and a website address.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/185665?hl=en

>>"For text ads, custom-sized ads will behave similarly to the standard formats you’re used to seeing. We’ll determine the optimal number of text ads to display for a given impression, and show the ads the same way they appear inside standard sizes.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/3289364

Ad limit per page

>>"Currently, on each page AdSense publishers may place:

Publishers may not place more than one "large" ad unit per page. We define a "large" ad unit as any unit similar in size to our 300x600 format."

The AdWords targeting method used (e.g. Placements) has no effect / does not  restrict the size / ad unit(s) on the site targeted. This is up to the publisher (AdSense)