Display campaign structure - adgroup/targeting

[ Edited ]
Rok
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Rok
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Let's say I have same ads but in different dimensions, they all have the same call to action and url. Is this a good way to structure adgroups and targeting? 

1. Campaign

1.1 Ad group with only Demographics (25-55) targeting

1.2 Ad group with only Topics (several different topics)

1.3 Ad group with only Interests (several different) 

1.4 Ad group with only placements (several different) 

Is this a good method?

Thanks,

Rok

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display campaign structure - adgroup/targeting

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Rok,

Looks ok if you want to:

• Either temporarily test what kind of results you get per targeting method, so you can narrow it down in the future
  • Or target very broadly: targeting with separate ad groups gives you logical OR targeting as in people who are in the demographics OR sites matching the topics OR people with specific interests OR the ad is displayed on specific sites. If one (or more) of those 4 conditions match, your add will show. (union between those 4 sets)

Of course, the OR targeting might be what you intended, if however you only want to show your ads when all 4 conditions apply, you should put them together in 1 adgroup so you get logical AND targeting. (intersection between those 4 sets)

[ Edited ]
Rok
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Rok
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ken, thank you. Yes, when I do this I want to have as many impressions available as possible. Our country is small with small population, only 2.800.000. Smiley Happy

I am just wondering, does structure like this make ad and ad groups compete with each other for an impression?

Since so many targeting methods are chosen, for example, a website chosen in placements, may be also in the chosen topic.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I can see the logic of separating topics, interests and placements into their own ad groups - but if you know that your demographic is 25-55yr olds, then I would have this added to the other three as an overriding condition.

Otherwise, in your topics group, for example, you will see all ages targeted....

Rok
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Rok
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, yes I'm aware of that. My intention is to target broadly.

I was just wondering if this kind of structure creates any internal competition for impression?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

In broad terms, interests are user based, topics are content based and placements are site based... there will be internal competition insofar as the system would determine which ad has the closest match - but this will not increase the amount you would have to spend for an impression - that is determined by the external, not internal, competition.