2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads not performing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have three display ads with different landing pages. However, I have observed that they have failed to generate enough clicks. How can I improve their performance? Their CTR is way below average. Any suggestions in this regard.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display ads not performing

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Try analysing the problem by segmenting : time of day, devices , placements, demographics

If some day parts are providing many impressions overall and very few clicks, eliminate them through scheduling , if the display ads are in their own campaign without other Ads .

If after using "Segment / Device" you realise that a lot of impressions without clicks come from mobile, reduce the mobile bid or eliminate mobile targeting with a decrease of -100%.

If some placements have very low CTR, pause them or exclude them and keep only higher CTR placements.

If some demographics segments offer low CTR ( for example you sell men products but you also have the segment women), disable the targeting for that demographic segment.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

[The answer edited to reflect display network only]

Hello;

If you search the community for "improve CTR" you'll find hundreds of discussions on the topics;

Basically the way to "tackle" this is in multilvevl approach. The keyfactos are:

• Work on your ad-copy: to have an attractive offer to the user;
  • I prefer to use at least another targeting method, in addition to keywords (contextual targeting). E.g keywords +topics; keywords  +palcements...etc..
  • And finally - and the basis of all: Make a landing page well structured and designed for conversion. 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Does the "search terms report" also work on a campaign with "three Display Ads" ?

How can "broad match keywords" be avoided in this Display campaign when all keywords are treated as broad ? 

How does the landing page influence the CTR which is the current problem ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct; disregard my first two recommendations. I missed that the question was about the display network; I will edit the answer.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
When you say "CTR is way below average" are you looking at the "Relative CTR" column? It is hard to tell what a 'good' CTR is in display. Looking at this column will help you know if you are doing better or worse than your competition.

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/06/today-innovations-in-targeting.html