AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads not performing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have three display ads with different landing pages. However, I have observed that they have failed to generate enough clicks. How can I improve their performance? Their CTR is way below average. Any suggestions in this regard.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display ads not performing

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Try analysing the problem by segmenting : time of day, devices , placements, demographics

If some day parts are providing many impressions overall and very few clicks, eliminate them through scheduling , if the display ads are in their own campaign without other Ads .

If after using "Segment / Device" you realise that a lot of impressions without clicks come from mobile, reduce the mobile bid or eliminate mobile targeting with a decrease of -100%.

If some placements have very low CTR, pause them or exclude them and keep only higher CTR placements.

If some demographics segments offer low CTR ( for example you sell men products but you also have the segment women), disable the targeting for that demographic segment.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

[The answer edited to reflect display network only]

Hello;

If you search the community for "improve CTR" you'll find hundreds of discussions on the topics;

Basically the way to "tackle" this is in multilvevl approach. The keyfactos are:

• Work on your ad-copy: to have an attractive offer to the user;
  • I prefer to use at least another targeting method, in addition to keywords (contextual targeting). E.g keywords +topics; keywords  +palcements...etc..
  • And finally - and the basis of all: Make a landing page well structured and designed for conversion. 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Does the "search terms report" also work on a campaign with "three Display Ads" ?

How can "broad match keywords" be avoided in this Display campaign when all keywords are treated as broad ? 

How does the landing page influence the CTR which is the current problem ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct; disregard my first two recommendations. I missed that the question was about the display network; I will edit the answer.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
When you say "CTR is way below average" are you looking at the "Relative CTR" column? It is hard to tell what a 'good' CTR is in display. Looking at this column will help you know if you are doing better or worse than your competition.

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/06/today-innovations-in-targeting.html