Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads in more than one languag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I want to set a Display campaign which will be served in different countries with different languages. I will use the same images for all the countries, but clearly the keywords will be different. Should I set different campaigns or, being the images always the same, I can add all the keywords to the same campaigns?

Thanks a lot!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I think the best way to divide this would be to have campaigns dedicated for each language, because the language setting is set at the campaign level. 

Keep in mind that the language setting is based off of what the user's Google language is set to. For example, if someone has their Google language setting set to Spanish and they search "blue widget", then an English version of that keyword would be needed in the Spanish campaign in order for your ad to show. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I think the best way to divide this would be to have campaigns dedicated for each language, because the language setting is set at the campaign level. 

Keep in mind that the language setting is based off of what the user's Google language is set to. For example, if someone has their Google language setting set to Spanish and they search "blue widget", then an English version of that keyword would be needed in the Spanish campaign in order for your ad to show. 

Re: Display ads in more than one languag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Marked,

thanks a lot for your answer! May I ask you what would be advantage to have different campaigns instead of having all the keywords (in each language) in the same campaign? Please note that the adv (pictures) would be always the same.

Thanks a lot!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It's just much easier to organize and maintain. If one language doesn't perform as well as the others, you can change the settings all the way from the campaign level to the ad level (just for that one language). Imagine having thousands of keywords, in more than 5 languages, in one campaign. It would be a hassle to make bulk edits or fine tune it the way you want. 

One other thought I just realized: Your quality score and ad rank could be affected if the keywords don't match the campaign's language targeting. I'm about 75% sure on this, so hopefully someone else will chime in. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

The simple answer is that if you do not separate the languages by campaign Google might serve an English ad to a Spanish user (or whatever language combination you might be using) - and this is clearly to be avoided.

There are a whole bunch of other reasons why it would make sense to separate - bidding ,scheduling, etc. but at the core you want to be sure that your target market sees the ad in their own language.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello stickleback,

thanks for your reply. As mentioned, the announces are the same for all the languages (display campaign), so the language-issue don´t apply.

Therefore, the reasons I have seen so far are:

- a better organization and management of the campaigns (personal thing, not related to Adwords mode of operation)
- probably a drop of the quality score and rank.

If you know any other possible inconvenient I would be thankful if you could share. Thanks a lot!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

There are a number of other considerations that should be made... not least of which is - which landing page do you send the visitor to? Since we have already established that you could show an English ad to a French visitor - presumably the English ad (although identical to the French ad) presumably points to an English landing page.... which then requires the French visitor to choose to look for the language selection button rather than the back button.

You may also find that you get much better results from your French visitors - and you'd like to bid more aggressively for them - you can do this if they are in separate ad groups - but you cannot allocate more budget to the French since budget is set at campaign level.

You may also find that the French convert better in the evening, the English in the morning - again scheduling works at campaign level.

I can see no real advantage to running multiple languages within a single campaign other than it's simpler at the outset... but even that is a fairly weak argument since duplicating campaigns and then changing a few settings is really simple using either AWE or the copy/paste function within the interface.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot Steve! Everything is clear!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

you're welcome - let us know how you get on...