AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads - can anyone help?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

my client needs maximum impressions & clicks on few major placement sites one of the placement is mail.google.com.

the campaign is getting around 1lac impressions every day but the number of click is too less which i feel is obvious in display campaign. i am using maximum keywords (generic) in different adgroups. the campaigns cpc is almost double the avrage cpc charged yet the campaign is not improving in terms of  impression & clicks. Am i doing something wrong? or am i missing something?

how good is that if i create a new campaign for the targeted placements without any keywords in it?

can anyone share the best the best practice to achieve my goal?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Display Network Contextual targeting and Placements

Badged Google Partner
# 11
Badged Google Partner

Neha and I think a lot alike in this regard. Smiley Happy

Gmail is... different. Having gmail in it's own campaign, and excluding gmail for all other display campaigns works for me too.

Targeting gmail without any further targeting restrictions (ie. KW's), will surely increase impressions, but click/conversion performance may suffer. If your goal is just to advertise your brand, and gain as many impressions as possible, then don't add any further targeting restrictions. Perhaps even consider using CPM bidding as well. That would "work", if getting more impressions is "working".

If you can then keep working to try and improve the CTR of the ads, then you would also get more clicks. You may be able to get more clicks by showing ads to a more highly targeted audience, but total impressions may decline. You have to expand your reach, and at least maintain, if not increase CTR to accomplish both objectives at the same time. If gmail is the single most valuable placement for you, then definitely isolate that placement in it's own campaign, and use all the campaign level tools at your disposal.

Tom

View solution in original post

Re: Display ads - can anyone help?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey waasif_ehsan,

A targed placement for GMAIL without keyword wont be very "focused" - and your CTR would even get poorer...

1. Try to split your campaign to many Ad-Groups with 2-3 keywords in each ad-group.
  2. Make sure the keywords are inside the Text Ads.
  3. Create 2-3 ads in each Ad-Group - and see which ad get better CTR - than continue and optimize the ads.
Good Luck,
Asaf

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello waasif_ehsan;

On the Display Network, you can target by placements, contextual targeting (keywords), or both.

I understand that you are using keywords for contextual targeting, AND placements (Gmail)

• Are you targeting broad reach or specific reach ?( on your display campaign setting)
  • How many keywords are you using for contextual targeting?.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Moshe,

I am using broad reach & few sites including gmail under managed placement. My keyword list is around 300 divided in 15 adgroups. 60% of my keywords are getting impressions. Hope this helps you understand my campaign.

Waasif

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Waasif,

In addition to above informative responses, I would like to add that although you are seeing the keyword level data for your Display Network Campaign after Google made some major changes inside that interface, it is yet not clear that you can dig at the keyword level to see how your Display Campaign is performing. The concept of contextual targeting is still applicable, wherein Google considers the theme of your ad group and based on that your ads are shown on respective placements across GDN.

My advice would be to look for the past data of your Display Campaign and see how many automatic placements have received regular clicks for your client. If they are relevant, add them under Managed Placements and if irrelevant, exclude them simply.

Additionally, go for the strategic display tools like Placement Targeting Tool, Contextual Targeting Tool to further optimize your Campaign. These tools will give you new dimensions to see what all domains and how many new ad groups you can create and with what bidding options, so as to maximize the brand building for your client.

Go for Google Ad Planner Tool also, which is an excellent advanced tool to look for other areas like demographic,audience interests, age, etc...which you can target for your client.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Pankaj,

Thanks for the suggestions. Well i am aware of Placement Targeting ToolContextual Targeting Tool & use them as well. I am adding more websites into the managed placements list after analysing automatic pplacement report.

But this is not basically my concern. The campaign has come to a point from where ist not moving up now. My main objective is to get more clicks & impressions on Gmail.com. What do i do to get more impressions on gmail.com?

-Wasif

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello Waasif,

I suggest you to run a seperate campaign for gmail targeting.

Add manage placements

• mail.google.com
  • mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center

Note: its not gmail.com, it's mail.google.com

Exclude mail.google.com at campaign level in your other display campaigns to avoid duplicacy.

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Neha,

Do you mean to say a seperate campaign only for mail.google.com? what should be the setting of this campaign?

I am already running a seperate GDN campaign. The campaign is on broad reach with mail.google.com & mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center under managed placement. 

Even I am thinking of a seperate campaign for gmail targeting with mail.google.com &mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center as managed placement & not using any keywords in the campaign but am not sure if this will work?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello waasif;

When you target by "broad reach" for  keywords + placements, the placements are only used for bidding : Your ads appear on all relevant sites based on contextual targeting. On placement sites - the placement's  bid is used.

I would try to switch to specific research : "The ad appears only next to relevant content (based on the keywords) on the placements you've selected" (in your case:  Gmail only!)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Display ads - can anyone help?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Waasif,

Here is very simple solution of your problem.... just follow these... 

1. Go on your campaign click edit button  ---> click on networks ---> select Display network > select Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods > save.

2. Go on Tools and analysis ---> click on Placement tool put mail.google.com in the place of Website ---> search.

3. you got a list there select   

mail.google.com
mail.google.com» Inbox,Top center
4. Click add to my account ---> click my placement ideas ---> select the campaign and ad group ---> save and continue.
Hope that these information will help you....
Thanks
-Vicky