3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display ad keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What can be the strategy to improve CTR for keywords in display ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display ad keywords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kapil,

You have to accept the fact that Display ads will always have low CTR's.

My suggestion is to use a clear message in line with your company brand, ideally promoting a specific offer or promotion. I always prefer to use highly targeted messages, instead of generic ones. Also, you should make sure you select relevant placements and see if remarketing can help you.

But again, the facts is, CTR on display is always low and I tend to look at it as a good branding tool and to spread the word on a specific "special offer".

Diogo

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Diogo,

Can you elaborate on the reasons why display ads have low CTRs? I will really appreciate it

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Kapil,

I normally combine 2 reasons in one, and they are relevancy and volume. Display campaigns are set to have many impressions and most of the times, the relevance to the users is likely to be very low.

When trying to get attention from their audience Display ads also compete with all content from the publisher's pages, which makes a "stand out" even harder.

If we compare to search, it's easy to understand that when someone searches in Google for something and ads are relevant to that specific search, it's much easier to get their attention as we are probably delivering a message directly related to their search. That's something we can't control on Display, as much as we want to sort out our placements, keywords and use remarketing, there's never as much relevancy as in search.

With display campaign I suggest you focus on branding and also on conversion. I wouldn't worry too much about CTR, because they can't be as good as in search.

Hope this helps
Diogo

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well.. Though dispaly CTR is usually lower than search, if you combine more than one targeting method, you could reach a "nice" CTR
My favorites:  always include keywords so the system could match the theme of KWs with relevant content on web pages (aka contextual targeting), and  combine it  with placements or with topics;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi MosheTLV,

I am currently using the same method suggested by i.e. managed placements combined with targeted keywords. In this scenario, what is still needed to get a stable CTR?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
How many KWs to you have on the list? (8-15 should do the job... You don't need more to establish a theme)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’