1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display ad and keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

While excluding keywords from the display campaign, how we can cope with match types? Suppose I exclude an exact match type keyword from the ad group, and keeps the broad match in the group, what effect it will create? I am aware of the fact that for display every keyword is treated as broad match only. Can anyone suggest me on this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display ad and keywords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Kapil,

As you have said already "I am aware of the fact that for display every keyword is treated as broad match only", In both cases either "keywords" or "negatives" adwords treats them like broad. You can not manage your negatives on Display as precisely as you can on Search network.

To cut the explanation time I have forwarded a content from Adwords Guidelines Smiley Wink

"Your negative keywords don’t have to be comprehensive. For example, to prevent ads from showing on placements about wine glasses, adding the negative keyword -wine should do the trick. An exception to this is compound keywords, like “baby spinach.” If you were to just use the negative keyword –baby, your ad might still appear on pages that contain the term “baby spinach” because the meaning changes when “baby” and “spinach” are combined.

If you exclude keywords from an ad group with placements, your ads will be less likely to appear on placements about the excluded keywords that you've selected. However, excluded keywords aren't as precise on the Display Network as they are on search, so your ad may still occasionally appear on pages containing these terms depending on the other keywords in your ad group."

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Keyword management is a lot looser on the display network... it has to be.

what is a good idea is to monitor the placements through the reports and look for the better performers - i.e. those placements which are sending quality visitors to your site - those that bounce least, spend more time on the page and convert better.

Then take these placements and pout them into a managed placements campaign - you can add or delete as and when you see performance drop or see a new placement in your "unamanaged" group that perform well enough to qualify for promotion.

Bid more aggressively on these placements... to try and leverage the quality of the visitors.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You can exclude some keywords by adding them in negative by doing this you are excluding websites on which those negative keywords are present

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kapil,

Google Display Network is totally different when we compare it with Search network in terms of many things. Adding keywords in your Display Network is fine upto certain level for example when you are starting your campaign and you have a list of keywords relevant to your service/product which you want to try.

As said above, it works on the basis of theme of what keyword/placement you are bidding upon. Gradually lot of changes have impacted Display Network, like for example you can individually bid on a keyword for Display network, which was not possible sometime back.

Your aim should be to continually work on your keywords and refine them as much as you can so that your ad shows on the relevant domains across Display Network. It is a good idea to identify right set of placements and move them to managed ones to have a better control over them as said above.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree with all the previous posts. Think of keyword targeting on the display network as targeting an "idea" not a specific keyword.
I rarely use negative keywords in display camapgins. I do use category exclusions as well as frequently review the URLs and Domains with large impressions or cost that my ads are showing for in the campaign. I look there for domains/pages to block from serving my ad.