AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Targeting

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Community,

I'm running a display campaign, and curious as to how some of the targeting options work together. For example, I am using Topics, Placements, and Keywords in some of my campaigns. I am curious as to the following:

If I choose a Topic: Fitness, and use the Target and Bid option to show ads only on pages with these topics.

Then, I set my display keywords to Bid Only. Will this structure help narrow down my targeting to pages on the Fitness topic that have keywords similar to mine, or do the keywords become irrelevant at this point?

Other scenario. If I use Topic targeting as above, will my managed placements play any role at all? For example, my Topic might exclude some of my placements altogether. But those placements that do fit under the Topic, will they be given any special consideration, or are they basically irrelevant at that point?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
September 2015

Re: Display Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexander S;

When using target and bid the AND  - condition applies.

When using "bid only" - the OR condition applies.

So, when you use topics + managed placements,  and choosing  "target and bid" -  your ad will be shown only on placements that are also under the category of the "fitness". If no managed placement linked to this category - no ads will be shown.

With mange placements, I prefer to add   keywords as an additional targeting method, to narrow   targeting  for pages within the placements (=sites)   with  content matches the theme of the keywords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexander S;

When using target and bid the AND  - condition applies.

When using "bid only" - the OR condition applies.

So, when you use topics + managed placements,  and choosing  "target and bid" -  your ad will be shown only on placements that are also under the category of the "fitness". If no managed placement linked to this category - no ads will be shown.

With mange placements, I prefer to add   keywords as an additional targeting method, to narrow   targeting  for pages within the placements (=sites)   with  content matches the theme of the keywords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you, Moshe.