Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Networks Ignores Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Adwords Community,

I have several Display Network campaigns, both Image and Text. They were running great, but suddenly it seems like they are ignoring my targeting methods.

For example, I have an ad group that only targets an Interest group(Celebrities & Entertainment News). In targeting options, "Target and Bid" is selected for Interest & Remarketing.

But when I look at the statstics, it looks like ads are ignoring the Interest group and showing up regardless of my targeting. Under "Age" and "Gender," there are over 250,000 impressions, but when I look at "Interest&Remarekting," there is only 11 impressions.

This makes no sense to me as I wanted to show my ads to everyone in the Interest group "Celebrities & Entertainment News," but it is not.

What is the reason behind this and how can I fix this? This is wasting so much of my budget.

Thank you Adwords community.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Networks Ignores Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Actually, I must admit, that I started writing this answer 3 times, trying to explain the differences between "target and bid" compared to "bid only", and from there, to  drive to conclusion; However; It came out  so complex, Smiley Embarassed so, I decided to focus only on the targeting method you use(My opinion Google has to revamp targeting on Display. Hopefully, I am not wrong myself because of the details. )

With "target and bid"

On the display network using interests:  if you add too many audience categories, (age, gender etc...) in addition to interests, you end up with a targeting group (aka "reach"),  which is too small. The Venn diagram (the "circles" on the side) nicely  shows graphically, that as you add more targeting categories (within interests)  the "reach" (audience) becomes smaller;

You have two options :

1. To stick with your current setting, and switch gender and age to "bid only" - this way it will not serve for targeting audiences but for bidding only;
  2. My recommended setting: : Since gender and age are not perfect (Google mainly  uses Google account data for that) I would target by interests only.

Hopefully, it answers your question;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV,

I still don't understand. So if my targeting group is too small, Adwords just ignores my targeting methods? Also I do not believe "Women from 35 to over 65 who are interested in Celebrities&Entertainment News" is small at all.

I know how "target and bid" and "bid only" works, my question is why it ignores my targeting method even when "target and bid" is selected.

When I target by interest only(as suggested by you), some age groups do not perform well at all because of our niche. So I have to target by interest and age.

Does anyone have a solution? This does not make any sense for me..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

As you said, this is a niche. The question is not how may potential users are in the overlapping group,  but rather how many Google has identified as such. For that, Google needs both demographic data about the users, and to "categorize" them under this interest.

In those two field Google is still not "strong". Look at the interests Google has "assigned" to  your account (under your Google account settings).  You'll see (probably) many that are off....

Add to that a bid that could be low, and here you are,  a probable  reason your ad is not shown.

I hope I was able to explain better this time.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again. But I don't think you understood my question.

I am trying to show display image ads to audiences who are "Women, at least 35 years old, interested in Celebrities & Entertainment News."

So there is an ad group with gender targeted for only "Women", age targeted for only "35-44, 45-54, 55-64, 65 or more", and interest targeted for only "Celebrities & Entertainment News". Everything is "Target and Bid".

Bidding is not the problem as the Average CPC is not even half of my Maximum CPC.

From what I know, I expected EVERYONE who sees my ad to be a woman, at least 35 years old, who are interested in Celebrities & Entertainment News.

But when I look at interest groups, "Celebrities & Entertainment News" only has 11 impressions, while gender and age shows over 250,000 impressions. That means 249,989 people were not in the "Celebrities & Entertainment News" interest group but still saw/clicked the ad.

This is making me spend ridiculous amount of clicks that I didn't even target.

I hope someone knows the solution to this. I can't be the only one having this problem..

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew, I wonder if this could be an issue with how the data is reported rather than an issue in where - or to who - the Ads are actually shown.  I can't see if you've said anywhere what Location targeting you're using but if you're targeting the US for example, I'd expect the figures to be much closer to 250k than 11, even with both the Interest and Gender/Age categories combined.

Have you looked at the data available via the Dimensions tab?  It might be worth looking at some of the more in-depth reports available via AdWords, they may show you a better analysis of how your Ads are being shown.

Evaluate Ad Performance on the Display Network

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits