4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I know absolutely nothing about the Display Network and I'm starting to test some of our clients there.  All the businesses I work with are local.  Does anyone have any tips or resources that would be a good place to start as far as strategies for the best-performing accounts?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
September 2015

Re: Display Network

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a fun place to start

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/

The strategy that I use is chosing the websites that match the interest domain of the promoted business, you can get lower CTR in display network but it is a normal thing.

Another fun thing to do is to try the display ad builder, because image ads in the Display network attract more attention :

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/build-your-ads/display-ad-builder.html

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a fun place to start

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/

The strategy that I use is chosing the websites that match the interest domain of the promoted business, you can get lower CTR in display network but it is a normal thing.

Another fun thing to do is to try the display ad builder, because image ads in the Display network attract more attention :

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/build-your-ads/display-ad-builder.html

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Joy, I'm sorry to have to post this, but I must.  You're saying you're taking money from clients to manage their Accounts, but that you openly and publicly admit you know nothing about a major part of the program they're paying you for?

Are you seriously happy with charging these people?

You cannot, cannot, advertise effectively with AdWords without understanding the difference in the networks involved.  I presume that you feel comfortable with Search, but if you know nothing about the GDN, how could you possibly make a proper assessment of the advertising potential for your clients or where best to spend their money?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Jon,

I'm a little frustrated by your comment.  No, we are not taking money from clients for this.  We test new products all the time and the company pays for it.  I don't really see how your comment is helpful in any way and it's a little offensive.

The only way we can learn it and sell it in the future is if we test it.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Not only that, I should add that I even notified the 2 clients we're testing it on to make sure they were okay with be part of a new test and again, I never said we were charging them.

Your comment really bothered me.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Nice Tip! I tried it out, I didn't think it was going to be that easy, will let one of my clients know about this.

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was in the same situation and a customer did not want to pay an agency a flat fee to run a program. He said you do it for me, you can learn it, I trust you. I did learn in as I am sure you are and have greatly increased his business. For the display adds I have run them with locations added that fit his service area and he gets good results in his service area, not outside it. Keep working on it the results can be great. I have learned a lot just make sure you limit the setting so the billing stays controlled.