5.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network (remarketing) Ad Variations

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm new to Adwords in general but especially to remarketing display network advertising.  

I have an adgroup that is targeting a remarketing list of about 150 people that has a membership duration of 10-30 days. I have frequency capping set at 2 impressions per user per day.

How many ad variations should I have:

1) so that my audience doesn't see the same ads over and over again

2) so that I can get enough data on which ad is performing best (CTR etc)

#1 suggests that I make as many different ads as possible whereas I'd rather only have around 2 ads to property A/B test with this small list.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network (remarketing) Ad Variations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore;

All variations acceptable by Google  on the websites for the display network. In other words: all formats of banners and a text ad
If you have both  Remarketing AND another targeting method (e.g placements  ), then your ads will appear only to the Remarketing audience on these sites. Make sure that you cover all ad formats those sites show, 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
But how many different ad copy variations?

Like you know in search how you always want to have at least 2 variations running to test against each other?

But in search I'm not concerned about one visitor seeing the same ad over and over again.

In the remarketing campaign, I'm concerned that if I only have two versions of a text ad, visitors might get annoyed/bored.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again;

Since most of the site on the  display, offer  slots for banners, I use only one ad copy for text- ads. (For those pages, still left,   where the competition is for a   "text-ad slot". ) 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Are your image based ads normally all a variation of one ad (i.e. similar colour scheme, image, copy)?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Exactly; Just different sizes, to fit any banner size available.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Just to add to this... remember that the visitors have laready ben on your site - that's how they got tp be on the rmearkeitng list in the firs tplace.

As a result - use your ads to "jog their memory" by using the same colors, fonts, logos and images where possible - after all you are looking to get them to come back to complete some activity they didn't complete on their initial visits.

Then - with this is mind - remember that you can send these visitors to a specific landing page - design one for them with perhaps, some of the following:

- a stronger call to action or sales message

- a special offer, discount or promo

- a welcome back/we missed you message

- access to "member" type material...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This can vary based on your type of business and if it includes promo codes. One important aspect to keep in mind is to keep your re targeting promotions fresh and updated.