AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network image and keyword targetting?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Im trying to start my first Display campaign and one of the questions it asked was how to target the audience, it was either by keyword targetting or by interest or something else... does it make sense to probably use keyword targetting the same way I do for adwords?

Should I even try to setup a text display netowrk ad? I figured it probably only makes sense to use image ads.

I saw the options for legit sizes I can upload, like 200x200 for a small square ad, there were many specs, whats the best one to use (if there is any) so that it will get dispalyed properly and to the most sites relevant to your searches?

Sorry for all the newbie questions! Appreciate any help! Smiley Happy

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network image and keyword targetting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Philip;

Always include all image sizes available, in your ad group(s) to ensure that if your ad wins a slot you will not lose  it due to lack of the  a banner in the right size. Since the bigger ads are more expensive (occupy more ad-slots) you could split your image ads into 2-3 ad- groups and bid higher on the bigger images. (And increasing your chance to win  a  slot for the bigger ads)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Philip, firstly I'll second Moshe's comments about using all the available Ad sizes; there's really no benefit in excluding any sizes since you're only limiting where your Ads can be shown.  Of course, if over time you can see that for your Campaigns a certain size doesn't perform well you could pause that size but I'd always start with a full set.

Is it worth creating text Ads?  I'd say yes for the same reasons - if you don't create text Ads your Ads won't show where only text Ad slots are available and/or where you can win an auction with a text Ad but not with an image.  Again, you'll want to monitor their performance but I'd always have two or three in any Ad Group.

As for targeting, that really depends upon the objectives of your advertising and, to some extent, the nature of the business.  Some businesses work well with Keywords while others, and other objectives work well with other targeting methods (interests, topics, demographics, etc.).  It can be useful to combine multiple targets then use bid adjustments to tweak the performance so, say, you use Keywords and bid adjustments for Age or Gender.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Philip,

How to Target: This is based on what kind of reach you're looking at. If you'd like wide reach, I'd suggest creating one ad group each for keywords, topics, placements & interests. This would help your campaign run on all targeting methods and hence wide reach. In case you're looking for specific targeting, you can combine keywords with either topics or interests in an ad group. This would narrow your reach, as both the targeting criteria needs to be satisfied to serve your ad. Tip: You can then use remarketing to show tailored ads to users who've visited your website. More info about targeting criteria & methods here.

Text Ad in GDN: Yes, you can run text ads on the display network along with image ads. AdWords system picks the appropriate ad based on publisher's preferences and ad slots available.

Image Ad Sizes: I'd go with Moshe's suggestion.

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
In terms of targeting keywords is a good idea as a starting point, but remember people are not searching - google uses the keywords to determine the content that would be best suited to your keywords...

Often, however, I prefer to use interests and topics - this means you can target people while they are looking at a range of content that google has determined falls into a category so that even if the particular article isn't about you particular product or service and/or that these are the kind of people who have a general interest in..... whatever it is...

And my favourite is placements... I like to run a campaign for a while and see which placements are giving me good traffic, then I separate these out for some special TLC - basically, I know I can bid higher for their ad slots because the return is better.

Remember that it's a good idea to duplicate campaigns for these different targeting options, if you combine too many it can cause problems... imagine, you are targeting keywords, topics interests and placements... how will you figure out which part of your combination is working and which could be squeezed out?

And if you are using target and bids settings for a number of targeting options you can find your self reducing your target group to next to nothing and you end up with very few impressions... so for example, you end up targeting women aged 35-44, in Paris who are interested in snowbording and you only target them when they are on the Cosmopolitan website - there might not be too many of them...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you so much everyone, so much useful insight.  I cant believe I have to make an image for every size though lol! So much work but seems to make sense! One step at a time I guess, Ill start off with a simple text ad go from there lol