AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network and horrible conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I haven't had much luck with display network ads in the past, actually I had a lot of click throughs and not one single conversion so I just figured it was junk traffic, such as click bots or click farms, etc.  I asked Google if they monitor fake clicks, which they said they did.  Anyway, I just focused on search for the time being.

I have been trying to get back into the Display Network, but I am seeing the same exact thing.  So far I have had 26 clicks on the display network with absolutely zero conversions.  I have had only two clicks on the search network but with ONE conversion, and the user even clicked on an Adsense ad, meaning there is some type of interaction, unlike these display network clicks which seem to do absolutely nothing.

I swear it's a click farm of some type.  I understand that conversions would be lower on content network, since people are not actively searching...but I would expect something.  I've just installed analytics, so maybe this will give me a better view of what these content network users are actually doing? 

Has anyone else experienced horrible conversions on display?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network and horrible conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Lance;

On the contrary. If you set a targeting methods well -you should get traffic, and assuming the landing page is well built - conversions will follow.
Start with this article;
Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe,
Update: It has blown through almost 300 clicks today and not one single conversion, my bounce rate shows 95% now. This is definitely fake traffic. I will be calling Google about this. The page gets a conversion with search traffic so it's the traffic that is at fault.

I was targeting through keywords, do you think this is a problem? But still, the user should only be clicking the ad if they are interested, regardless of where it is placed or how it is placed. But maybe keyword targeting is bad for getting malicious clicks? Either this or users are "accidentally" clicking the ads, but shouldn't Google not be charging if they can obviously see the traffic is bad?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Lance E;

I would run a few more tests before concluding that those are invalid clicks: Offenders  who wish to "drain your budget" generally prefer the search network. This is an easier way to exhaust your budget, than "catching ads" on various  websites (that are matched to keywords using contextual targeting - the method in which content is matched to a theme of keywords.)

I would first narrow the targeting audience  to exclude irrelevant terrific

Add topics and another targeting method ("target and bid")

And go through the list of placements and exclude irrelevant placements.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe,

Update:
I have received at least another conversion from search, I think one more hasn't updated yet.

So display: 300 clicks no conversions
Search: 12 clicks with 2 or 3 conversions

This is only converting with them going to another page, so this should be a high conversion. 300 clicks and not one single conversion is absolutely impossible. I think this is enough to say something is wrong, and all the traffic does is bounce. The traffic seems bad and this reflects my previous experience when I had it going to an entirely different site.

By the way, I do have all methods of targeting running. I actually have separate ad groups for targeting and interest. I also have some traffic going to a second website.

All I can say is maybe people are accidentally clicking the link. But click farms would not be designed to drain your account , they would be set up to make money for the Adsense account? But maybe I am in a nitch in which they are targeting their competitors. All I know is it is almost impossible to have this many clicks and no action, I'm baffled.

I know that my previous bad experience was in the same niche.

I will need to narrow things down, but looking previously I had a pretty balanced traffic source from content, but this was much earlier ago

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
>>"But click farms would not be designed to drain your account , they would be set up to make money for the Adsense account?"

Google has done a long way... Google is now very sophisticated in recognizing arbitrage on AdSense. I would be surprised if this were the case.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe, I've allowed this to run a little longer. Both go to same exact page.

Display: 399 clicks with 0 conversions
Search: 70 clicks with 25 coversions

I had one more display ad going to another similar page, which might even convert higher with search, not sure, but it had 44 clicks and only one conversion.

The search results are to what is to be expected as this should have a conversion in this range.

In order to tweak I went and excluded all mobile app traffic from the display ad, since I noticed a lot of traffic from this...but it still did not produce any conversions after the change. I would love to use the display network for traffic, but o can't of these are the results. It's sad

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Can you share the landing page?
Have you tried to narrow the targeting methods - as suggested?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, it's just a simple page I have been working on.

Free Dog Training Guide

I have contacted Google, and she said she would run some tests and get back to me, so I will see what they say as well.  Maybe I need to write a blog post exposing this and recoup my money back from all these years Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Lance E;

First, regardless of the conversion issue - your concern- this landing violates the Policy, since its main goal is to collect personal info. So, sooner or later the site will be suspended. My recommendation: add content. (An added value content!)

Google will run their tests. But, my opinion still holds, that the issue here is both targeting methods and "low quality" landing page. Traffic from the display network, which in its essence, targets broader audience, is unlikely to convert with the current "low added value" landing page. (And honestly, If you improved the landing page, the conversions on Search would go up as well.)