AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network - Gmail

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Impression in my dispaly network for Gmail was 1596 for period 18 March - 24 March

While it is zero for 25 March - 31March

Why it is so, Can Anyone explain it

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network - Gmail

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I'd recommend waiting until tomorrow before you decide there is a problem. Sometimes there's a delay in posting data figures.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi jeewan G,

You have a QS on the display network, just like you have a QS on your search campaigns. The problem is that you never see this QS for the DN. If your CTR was not up to Google's expectations, your QS will suffer. If the QS for the web site goes too low, your ads won't show unless you raise your CPC (or CPM) bid.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jeewan G,

I want to assist here too with some thoughts.

1) For a time-range of 1 week which is what you are analyzing, a delay causing this lack of impressions is not possible. AdWords updates impressions in at most 3 hours according to the Data Freshness instructions : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

2) Gmail is difficult to target because of high competition, if raising your bids does not work, check if you have deleted or paused keywords. Gmail targeting does not work without keywords.

3) Activate the Column "Relative CTR" metric because it will tell you if for the time-range when you got impressions your Relative CTR is less than 1, meaning that you get a lower CTR than your competition. Details can be found here : 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454071?hl=en

"  Let's say that an advertiser who sells digital cameras is getting a Display Network CTR of 0.05%. The advertiser is appearing on a single page about photography on the Display Network with three other advertisers. The other advertisers are getting CTRs of 0.005%.

The first advertiser is getting a CTR that is 10x larger than the competitors' CTR (0.05%/0.005% = 10). Because people are more interested in this advertiser's products, this advertiser has a very high Relative CTR (10)."

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you all. I have checked up the data for the range 24 March - 29 March also. On Gmail it is not showing any Impression. The relative CTR is 1.3x

What should i do now

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

At this point it looks really difficult to make an educated guess about what is causing this . Test a higher bid until you gain some impressions and check the following :

1) Do you have enabled keywords in that ad group ?

2) Have you added another targeting besides the managed placement Gmail, such as topics ? This could narrow your reach too much

3) Have you excluded the "below the fold" category ?

4) Did you apply any change to that ad group ?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
@ Adrian i did frequency capping of 3 & added one negative keyword on 18th March. After that i have received no impression on gmail.

What should i understand by this

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Do the following test, set frequency capping to 7 ( is the caping per day, per week, per month / per Ad, per Ad group , per Campaign ) ?

If this does not work in 24 hours, pause the negative keyword, maybe it is a too broad one made from 1 or 2 words, but anyway it shouldn't block ALL impressions, just some, then wait another 24 hours to see if impressions are triggered.

Or simply undo both changes which lead to this, pause the negative and remove frequency capping.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
But i have also come to a conclusion that frequency capping of 3 was giving me avg CTR 1.2% which was most.

Also in one your post you have also suggested for 2 or 4 frequency capping

Now you are saying for 7, why so.

Also is not it will be good if i will make a separate ad group or camp. for gmail only where i can keep frequency capping of 7

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it would be best to make a separate ad group or campaign just for Gmail.

A frequency capping of 7 should give you a little more impressions than one of 4, but not many more.

Since gmail only allows text ads , these are harder to notice than banners on a regular site which can be very big, this is why I use 7 for gmail.