2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Click-2-Call Quality is Terrible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure if anyone else in this adwords community has tested display network click-2-call functionality, but after extensive testing, I find that the call quality is terrible.

There is an overwhelming difference between # of clicks on the call extension, vs # of actual calls generated.

Furthermore, the Duration of Display-network calls are ~2-5 seconds at most across various niches.

I have tested this across Adwords APP traffic & across the mobile display network websites (by excluding adsenseformobileapps.com).

For the display network, there needs to be a verification system in place similar to what Admob has for regular fat-finger clicks.

By implementing this validation feature, the display network would provide quality click-2-call traffic, and ultimately improve results for publishers and advertisers.

Otherwise, quality calls are isolated to mobile-search only.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network Click-2-Call Quality is Terrible

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback Leo. 

Here's an article by one of our Community members providing clarification on click-to-call reporting. 

Hope this is useful for you too.

Best, 

Mini

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

@Mini  - No link provided.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Added the link. Thanks for flagging, Theresa.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That link has no relevance to call quality.

Once again, the issue is accidental/low relevance clicks on the call extension in the display network.

A feature request/suggestion.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leo2015
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

are you targeting click to call only ?
or also using landing page to drive calls from Display network?

if you are targeting Click 2 call only, this is only possible currently on Apps Only Display Campaigns, as you stated that you also tried with exclusions and hopefully managed placements, there is only little you can do to control the quality of click 2 call on display network and after very extensive testing i come to the conclusion that click 2 call ONLY campaigns might not be a best fit for display campaigns

However,

Make a strong Call to action like Call Now Etc in your Ad text or banners
apparently they do convert well if you can let customer go to your site and drive calls from LP

hope it helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, apparently a landing page is absolutely essential.

After evaluating my click data, all of my ads/keywords/placements (mobile display websites, and mobile phone apps), had 'headline' clicks, rather than click-to-call under the GDN.

This was despite selecting 'only display the phone number', and carrier-traffic.

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Yes Leo. The feedback will be shared with the appropriate product teams.

Thanks,
Mini