Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Ads Suddently Stopped Serving Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I decided to make a post on here since I've not been able to figure this out by myself or with the help of Google support (yet). I've talked to 2 support agents on the phone and have been in Live Chat a handful of times trying to figure this one out, so if you have any input I'd appreciate it!

I'm using banner ads on the Display Network aimed to advertise on a specific website. (We are only using banner ads for this). The campaign was running fine at $50/day budget and then we decided to move it up to $150/day. At $150/day it was able to spend $100 or so for 2 or 3 days just fine, and this had a good ROI for us. However, on the 4th day impressions and clicks declined to about half what they were the previous few days. The day after that, it was cut in half again. And the day after that it didn't serve any impressions at all and hasn't served any impressions for the last week.

Things we did in the time frame that the ads started to decline:

1.) We cranked the daily budget up (since it was working well)

2.) Change to accelerated display (for testing purposes)

3.) Added 8 new images (which went under review for 2-3 days and later got approved)

Things we tried after a few days of NOT getting any impressions:

1.) Ramping the bid up (still did not get ANY impressions with this)

2.) Tried using accelerated ad display again (after reverting back to standard)

3.) Tried adding more targeting (even though we don't need to for the site we we're advertising on)

4.) Tried some different ad rotation options

Not one of these helped get us ANY impressions. They were all still stuck at 0 impressions.

Now, here's the kind of odd part I've found. We are running these ads on this website (only one website) in 5 different countries. I have US/CANADA in one campaign (this was our main campaign I described above), I have UK/Ireland in a campaign (this was spending around $15-$20/day on a $20 daily budget) and Germany in it's own campaign (spending around $25ish on a $30/day budget). 

Some suggested that the changes I made to the US/CANADA campaign (our main spending campaign) during that "decline" area may have caused that. The weird part is that we made absolutely 0 changes to the UK/Ireland and Germany campaigns, and they declined at the same exact time.

I can understand how competition can come in and that'll slow our impressions down. However, I find it odd that the UK/Ireland and Germany campaigns slowed down at the exact same time. Furthermore, jacking the bid up hasn't seemed to do anything to help get any impressions.

So I'm kind of at a loss here and looking for some help. This campaign (the US/CANADA one) was starting to do real well for us and I was going to start testing some new images to get our CTR even more, but cannot for the life of me figure this out. And since support hasn't provided any working solutions yet I wanted to reach out and see if the community had any insights.

Thanks for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network Ads Suddently Stopped Serving Impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Adam K

What targeting methods are you using?

Have you tried to raise the bid?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

I am just using website placement as targeting (which works the best for us). I've tried raising the bid 4x of what I was originally paying and getting 100k impressions (daily) at. Still no luck :/

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Adam;
My "feeling" is that either you target too narrow or something wrong with the campaign settings?
Call support and ask them to look into the settings, or expand the targeting methods to test if this brings impressions.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
MosheTLV,

Thanks for your reply. My targeting shows 2-2.5M weekly available impressions, so I don't think that's it. I think something is wrong in the campaign settings, so I'll try to give support another call. Still kind of weird the other two campaigns with the same website placement (just different targeted countries) have died off too...

Anyways, thanks for your insight!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Please update once talking to CS. This is an interesting case...