AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Impression Share almost always <10%, is that bad?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

All of those are display only campaigns. I almost always see display impression share <10%, not because of the budget limits but because of rank.

Very rarely I have campaigns with display share of 13-15%. And that's mostly with remarketing lists or audiences of some sort.

But for display keyword targeted campaigns (my main traffic drivers), it's always <10%.

And it's not a matter of getting just a few clicks. I might have a  campaign that gets me 4000 clicks per day in a smallish niche, and still I see impression share <10%.

I see the same with three accounts in three different markets. Three different projects.

I always thought this happens because the display network is huge. And I never worried about it.

But some time ago, I came across a discussion where someone mentioned that his "display impression share has fallen below 80%." And others were replying with ways to fix it.

This seemed crazy to me considering my own experience of always seeing <10%.

Do you guys and girls normally see higher display impression share?

Do I need to worry about it or think about ways of raising it? Am I missing out on something important (in terms of overall performance) by structuring my campaigns in a way that always gets me <10% share?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Impression Share almost always <10%, is that bad?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@bcc1357

If you're happy with the impressions/clicks/results you are getting, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's all relative to how broad or narrow your targeting is, plus the fact that your ads have a different quality score for each site on the network. Another variable at play would be frequency capping, or the lack thereof .

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I would say <10% for display is the norm - Unless your campaign and adgroup targeting settings are highly restricted and you have a large enough budget.
For example: If I am targeting as minimum a size remarketing list as possible, only on specific (if settings available) devices, only to one gender/age/parental status, only on specific placements, in as small of a geographic area as possible, then I may be able to reach 100% of the potential impression share. Maybe. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Removed

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Apparently, hell just froze over! Smiley Happy
Tom