AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display IS on AdGroup level

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everybody,

I encountered a problem and I was hoping any of you guys could help me out:

When exporting my display IS on Ad Group level, I have an average content share of  <10%, but my Content IS (rank) is according to google: -- . What does Google exactly means by this?  Is it safe to assume that the other  >90% impression are available as long as I increase my budget?  When looking at the other numbers and Content IS (budget) on campaign level that wouldn´t make any sense.  

A little bit of context, I´m looking into this, because I´m trying to find out in which Ad Groups I should increase/decrease my bid. 

Thanks again!
Bram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram K
September 2015

Re: Display IS on AdGroup level

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bram,

With respect to the most profitable placements, I was suggesting additional campaigns, not a restructure. So, you would use your current campaigns to identify profitable placements and then isolate those placements in their own campaign.

The problem with display IS is you are eligible for a ton of impressions and will only ever show for a fraction of them.

Without severely limiting where your ad is showing it will be extremely difficult to get a high IS.

Another problem to consider is that even if there is not a single competitor in the world to your product there will always be people other than you bidding on ad space on sites that you have targeted. It could simply just be an interest category or even have no connection the the site whatsoever but be on a remarketing list.

Another consideration is that once an ad has been shown to a user on a site during a single visit your ad is not likely to be shown to them again during that visit. Because your ad did not receive a click the first time it was shown other ads (such as remarketing ads) will be shown to them as the explore more of the site but you are still technically eligible to show this user ads. So, someone who visits 5 pages of a site and gets served your ad on page one but not again will mean that you get a 20% IS for that user. So even the users that see your ad are not counted as a full impression share when they see your ad.

The only way I have been able to see an IS on display that was above the <10% was when I was targeting specific sites and specific pages on the site within an ad group.

One thing that might help is limiting the frequency of your ads, maybe even to 1 (although not advised). That way once a user has seen your ad he will no longer be eligible. If your display IS is still below 10% after that adjustment then you can reliably tell your managers that given the specificity of your targeting you are reaching less than 10% of users on a daily basis. Remember that frequency capping is per day so you will have to look at daily IS in this case.

Other than that I can think of no other way to try and get a meaningful IS number on the display network that can be used to justify more budget. You could of course just simply show them that they are only reaching a fraction of potential customers and go into how specific your targeting criteria are.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bram K,

Your IS (rank) on the display network is showing -- because there is no data to report. . It could be due to the fact that you ran out of budget at some point during the date range that you are looking at. This then does not show any data for that date range.

With regards to display IS showing <10% that is to be expected. Unless your display campaign is targeting specific sites then it is not likely you will ever get higher than that.

IS is simply the number of impressions you received divided by the number of impressions you were eligible for. Now if you consider how many millions of sites are out there even with say topic/interest targeting limiting the number of sites you get the idea that it would take a LOT of budget to get a decent IS on the display network.

If you look at you targeting for your display campaigns you will be told (on the right) how many impressions your are eligible to receive a day, and unless you are very very specific with your targeting this number goes in to 10's and 100's of million impressions a day.

Do not stress about increasing your Display IS to a high number as the IS on search and Display are very different beasts.

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Clyton,

It definitely helps thanks! But I do have a couple of follow up questions/comments:

I’ve ran out of budget so that will be the reason why nothing is showing. Although I still don’t completely understand why they won’t show IS (rank) if I’ve run out of budget in that time period. I would like to use this all a tool to show my manager the possible growth I can achieve with the campaigns, but now that’s not possible.

My display campaign main targeting is based on keywords, with bid adjustments for other targeting methods. I was assuming Google would calculated the possible amount of impressions based on my set of targeting (included the exclusions and GEO targeting). If that’s true than the other >90% will still be very interesting for me, because my current targeting settings are getting the traffic I want (It should be said I´m active in a niche market).

What would be the best approach to still obtain this traffic? And how could I calculated without IS (rank) data what that extra traffic will cost me? Because I know I have been limited due to budget in that period, but I could never (I´ve tried increasing the budget in between) reached those other >90%. Right now I can only think of increase my max. CPC gradually, but I think there has to be another way.

Thanks again,

Bram K

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Bram,

The best way to see display IS and the potential there would be to have very focused display campaigns.

Perhaps you can identify a few of your best converting websites and then target those in a separate display campaign. Seeing as there is now only a few websites that you are eligible for in this new campaign it becomes easier to see an actual IS that has meaning.

Or you could just get really specific with multiple targeting, so perhaps add interests and Topics to a keyword campaign (remember to "target and bid"). In essence what you will be doing is limiting your display campaign to meeting multiple targeting methods thus limiting the number of eligible websites. Watch the potential impressions on the right to see how many impressions a day your are eligible for.

Not having the the IS rank data in this case should not be a large detriment. What you need to realise though is that 'dominating' the display network is very different from the search network.

I did a bit of research awhile ago for a client that wanted to be at number one for every impression over a 2 week period for selected terms and on specific types of websites (pretty specific) the projected budget for search was 350 000 and for display roughly 1.6 million.

Chasing every impression out there on Display is not really a viable option unless you do not like money (in which case I'll take it off your hands for you Smiley Tongue).

You need to identify your areas of relevance to your product and experiment as to when is the best time to be showing your ad, on which pages of which websites and such. An increase budget and blanket the display network is only going to hurt your bottom line.

There is always room to spend more money on the display network, the trick is spending the money in the right places at the right times.

So I would suggest looking into the placement reports and time of day profitability. Look into click assisted and impressions assisted conversions. Carefully document any changes as display changes can and usually do affect search traffic.

If you are looking to increase budget or motivate for more budget on the display. Then look into time of day numbers and see if you have enough budget to get some kind of IS on your most profitable managed placements during the most profitable times. If not, then you have a very strong case for more budget and it shows that these considerations are not based on simply IS but is a value driven proposal.

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Clynton,

Thanks again for the quick and extensive reply!

Basically I agree with everything you say and I think all your advice is very useful; however I’m still a bit confused. I’ve been running these campaigns now for almost six months and in this time I have made a lot of changes to the targeting; excluding categories, frequently running placements reports and exclude the bad performing ones, day parting, frequency capping, age/gender/device restriction. By doing so I was actually convinced that all traffic I’m currently getting is the “quality traffic I need”.

And don’t get me wrong! I never intended to get all the traffic, but as far as I understand the traffic Google takes into account by calculating the IS are all interesting impressions for me. Basically what I want to know is how I can calculated the potential (per ad group if possible) and what I have to change (increase budget/increase Max. CPC)  to obtain this.

So it’s not about dominating the display network or anything like that, I’m just looking for a (reliable) way to show my managers the potential we’re having and at what cost. It might be good to know that I’m working in a niche with not that many direct competitors.

But if I understand correctly that is not possible in this way?

I know this will sound as a strange thing, but for the moment I’m not running search, but only Display, so click assisted and impressions assisted conversion aren’t applicable for me at the current time.

About the “most profitable” placements, I can do it like that, but then I have to redesign my campaigns, and as I mentioned before, that will influence my results negatively.

Regards,
Bram

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram K
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bram,

With respect to the most profitable placements, I was suggesting additional campaigns, not a restructure. So, you would use your current campaigns to identify profitable placements and then isolate those placements in their own campaign.

The problem with display IS is you are eligible for a ton of impressions and will only ever show for a fraction of them.

Without severely limiting where your ad is showing it will be extremely difficult to get a high IS.

Another problem to consider is that even if there is not a single competitor in the world to your product there will always be people other than you bidding on ad space on sites that you have targeted. It could simply just be an interest category or even have no connection the the site whatsoever but be on a remarketing list.

Another consideration is that once an ad has been shown to a user on a site during a single visit your ad is not likely to be shown to them again during that visit. Because your ad did not receive a click the first time it was shown other ads (such as remarketing ads) will be shown to them as the explore more of the site but you are still technically eligible to show this user ads. So, someone who visits 5 pages of a site and gets served your ad on page one but not again will mean that you get a 20% IS for that user. So even the users that see your ad are not counted as a full impression share when they see your ad.

The only way I have been able to see an IS on display that was above the <10% was when I was targeting specific sites and specific pages on the site within an ad group.

One thing that might help is limiting the frequency of your ads, maybe even to 1 (although not advised). That way once a user has seen your ad he will no longer be eligible. If your display IS is still below 10% after that adjustment then you can reliably tell your managers that given the specificity of your targeting you are reaching less than 10% of users on a daily basis. Remember that frequency capping is per day so you will have to look at daily IS in this case.

Other than that I can think of no other way to try and get a meaningful IS number on the display network that can be used to justify more budget. You could of course just simply show them that they are only reaching a fraction of potential customers and go into how specific your targeting criteria are.

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Clynton,

Very clear! I will definitely try your suggestion about the placements in different campaigns.

Although it’s not solely my goal to create an useable IS, but I thought it was the easiest way, which it clearly isn’tSmiley Wink

Anyway, I understand all the points and it helped me a lot. Won’t taking any more of your time and move away from Content IS for the time being Smiley Wink
Thanks for all the help Clynton!

Bram

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Happy to help, and glad I was able to in this case!