Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Campaign only to Manage an Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello AdWords team,

I have a new account to manage and it's kinda new to me and it's about Trips, Flights and Hotel Booking. First let me mention the statistics:

* Budget is 10K : 15K

* Can't use search campaign due to tight budget and high competition and CPC

* Primary Goal = Drive Unique visitors

* Secondary Goal = Qualitative metrics like Bounce% - Avg. Time spend - Avg. Page per Visit

So i should to build display campaign targeting (Banners - Placements - Topics - Audience - interests .etc) from my perspective to push the delivery (Cost) for more unique customers - Cuz we are in top 1 pos. and we need to expand - using display campaign only and CPC bidding.

My questions are:

1 - Does the structure of the campaign and ad groups effect the quality score in display campaign ?

2 - How do i know the actual CPC to bid per ad group ?

3 - Does the extensions work in Display campaign ?

4 - Search Companion campaign is a good solution for expanding ?

Please advice and feel free to ask about anything Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Display Campaign only to Manage an Account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Hossam,

Answers inline:

1 - Does the structure of the campaign and ad groups effect the quality score in display campaign ?

Not to a great extent, unless there's relevance between your business, targeting criteria, ads and landing page.

2 - How do i know the actual CPC to bid per ad group ?

In GDN, Trial & Error is the only way to find out the right bid amount. I'd suggest starting with a high bid amount and decreasing it gradually to decent amount.

3 - Does the extensions work in Display campaign ?

Yes, but conditions apply. Please follow this article on our community.

4 - Search Companion campaign is a good solution for expanding ?

Certainly a good option, considering you're targeting active users right after their search session. I'd suggest other options (like topics, interests, keywords) as well to ensure wider reach. Try creating one ad group for each targeting criteria.

Hope that helps!

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hossam H
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Hossam,

My first thoughts here are around your initial comment that you "can't use search campaign due to tight budget and high competition and CPC".  While it is certainly true that the GDN (Display Network) can have lower CPCs and get you more impressions for your money, depending upon placement, usually the GDN also performs more poorly than Search in terms of key metrics, especially in terms of the metrics you mention in your secondary goals.  Clicks from Display Ads tend to be much more often "casual" rather than driven by intent so you'll usually find bounce rate is higher, time on site and number of pages visited lower than via Search.

The GDN is traditionally more useful for branding and can certainly help with unique visitors (because your Ads will be shown to people who wouldn't otherwise have seen them), but you should bear in mind that if your reasons for not using Search are budget and CPC, you may not find the GDN more efficient in this respect.

Considering your target - flights, trips & hotel bookings - these topics are very strongly linked to intent and not typically associated with casual decisions.  So, if you're looking to use the GDN only, although you will get customers and conversions from this network, you'll be targeting quite a small portion of the available - and more relevant - internet usage out there.  Consider an example:

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Vienna in Spring 2015.  I haven't booked anything yet, and have no firm plans.  If I see your Ad now I may visit your site, but I'm not ready to book yet.  The best you can hope for is that I'll remember you and look for you in a couple of months time when I am ready to book.  However, when I do decide to book, the first place I'll go is Search and it's very, very likely that I'll find a deal that satisfies me from the results there.  Even if I saw your Ad on the GDN after I was ready to book, but before I actually searched, I'm still going to use Search to do a price comparison.  Hardly anyone (for travel topics) will see one Ad, click on it and book there and then without a comparison search.

So, in short, using the GDN only may allow you to reach a lot of people, and some of them will book, I'm sure, but you'll be missing the most active portion of potential customers by not using Search at all.

If you believe you really cannot compete in Search, I'd suggest at least considering a Search Campaign targeted using Remarketing.  This would allow you to restrict this Campaign to previous site visitors (given an appropriate list/size), which, although going against your first objective of unique visitors, does mean a stronger intent and possibly better results for a more limited spend.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Jon,

Thank you so much for your wide explanation in this, it helped me a lot with my client. He is now convinced with this point of view. but he intended to apply this strategies later when his campaign go online for a while.