AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Ads low impression share: how to improve the placement based on data?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Low impressions from display ads is a very frequently asked topic. I understand there are two other columns called Impression Share lost by Budget and Impression share lost by Ad Rank which we can find out what's causing the results.

However, currently I've got a campaign that targets by specific placements(sites) based on our audience's interest (which now has been proved very useful and accurate) My question is the two columns are not available from the placement view in display campaign, so how can I optimise my placement without these data? I assume some site might have a very low impression share that drag the whole performance down?

Thanks,

Jason

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
April 2017

Re: Display Ads low impression share: how to improve the placement based on data?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jason Zhang,

However, currently I've got a campaign that targets by specific placements(sites) based on our audience's interest (which now has been proved very useful and accurate) My question is the two columns are not available from the placement view in display campaign, so how can I optimise my placement without these data?

The display impression share is not available at the placement levels. You need to check at the ad group ad campaign level.

Yes, If you want to check the Impression share at each placement level, you can create different ad groups for each placements. 

Hoping, you have already how to improve display impression share? mine is only 10%, thanks

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: Display Ads low impression share: how to improve the placement based on data?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason,

To improve the impression share:

Adjust your managed placements. With managed placements, you choose Display Network websites or subsets of websites where you'd like your ad to appear.

1. If you increase the number of your placements, remember to consider re-adjusting your budget so that it'll cover the costs of your new campaign settings.
2. If you decrease the number of your placements, you may see an increase in impression share – but keep in mind that the size of the "pie" has been reduced.

Also, avoid lots of optimization at same time and lots of budget changes on daily or weekly basis.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,
Aslam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Aslam S,

I believe you're right about the theory. But which data can help you find out if a certain placement has a very low impression share so I better exclude it from the list?

Thanks,

Jason

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can get impression share data through:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click Campaigns, Ad groups, or Product groups (for Shopping campaigns), or Keywords in the page menu.
  3. Click the columns icon Columns and click Modify columns.
  4. Click Competitive metrics, and add impression share columns by checking the boxes next to column names.
  5. Click Apply. Impression share data will now appear in your statistics table.

All impression share metrics are updated once per day.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,
Aslam

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Jason Zhang;

Impression share is useful if you target by  theme (e.g. Topics, keywords, audiences...) if you target by placements, it's not that helpful. (i.e.there is a pre-defined list of placements, so "other" placements you the ad could take part in the auction are excluded by default)

Sort the placements  by impressions or CTR, and exclude placements  with low performance.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jason Zhang,

However, currently I've got a campaign that targets by specific placements(sites) based on our audience's interest (which now has been proved very useful and accurate) My question is the two columns are not available from the placement view in display campaign, so how can I optimise my placement without these data?

The display impression share is not available at the placement levels. You need to check at the ad group ad campaign level.

Yes, If you want to check the Impression share at each placement level, you can create different ad groups for each placements. 

Hoping, you have already how to improve display impression share? mine is only 10%, thanks

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Jason Zhang,

Hoping, you have already go through how to improve display impression share? mine is only 10%, thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @MosheTLV

That's good to know! About your second point, just to double check, so you're saying the custom placements added besides the pre-defines list won't work? e.g. adding a subdirectory of a certain site to narrow down the right audience won't take part in the auction?

Thanks,

Jason

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Jason Zhang;

It depends. I have seen some domains in which a sub-category is considered a placement while in others only the whole domain is a placement. It all depends how big is the site.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’