AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Ads in topics that are not directly related to the product

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi there!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. 

I was just having a discussion with someone about a silly idea but wanted to hear what the community thinks.

Basically, display ads in places where there is no relation to the product being offered. For example, displaying banner ads in the Real Estate categories for plumbing services. It makes sense because new home owners most times may not have experience to deal with these types of things at home. It's more a top-of-funnel approach.

The problem as you can see is plumbing ads on contextual basis would not be anywhere normally close to a Real Estate page. There's many such examples. Here's another crude one: A guy who lives in a particular zip code (no matter what website he goes to) can be advertised a minivan because his neighborhood has a lot of families - so it is assumed that he is a family man. Or this guy frequents baby product websites, and we show him a minivan ad. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this form of targeting. I'm sure many are doing it, but I would want to see the pros and cons. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Display Ads in topics that are not directly related to the product

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

I agree that you have seen some ads that is not directly aligned with website content.As we know that AdWors offers different types of targeting in GDN campaigns. So it does not mean that the Ads that you seen is either Contextual or topics targeting, 

So, It may be possible that the ads you seen is either placements, Interest and Remarketing targeted campaigns.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

I agree that you have seen some ads that is not directly aligned with website content.As we know that AdWors offers different types of targeting in GDN campaigns. So it does not mean that the Ads that you seen is either Contextual or topics targeting, 

So, It may be possible that the ads you seen is either placements, Interest and Remarketing targeted campaigns.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hi Rakesh,

I'm afraid you have misunderstood my question.
I am simply wondering if I can create display ads for product A, but display them on websites that are not remotely related to product A.

PS: Who selects "Accepted Solution"? I always get an email that it was selected as an accepted solution and many times, it simply isn't.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hi Mark,

I think what you're saying makes sense. It also comes pretty close to using "interest targeting" instead of "topic targeting", which might also be interesting to check out (topic targeting is based on site content, interest targeting is based on audience/people)

It might be good to do a few tests with these different targeting techniques to see which ones yield the best results for your business.

Ken

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Mark,
I did not misunderstood your question. If you want to run ads of product A on placement site with Product B. You may have to choose the Placement sites with theme of Product B. e. g If you want to advertise real estate website on Job Portal, so you need to add Job Portal websites on Placement sites.
_
Other possible targeting is Intrest. Interest works on user's system browser history. e.g A user is interested in real estate website but he/she also interested in cricket website and movies review website. When user browse the cricket website and movies review website, he/she may see your ads, if your ads appear on those websites.

You need to understand these two types of targeting.

PS: If you are not satisfied with answer you click on the rightside wheel and Reject the answer and select the best possible answer.