Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display Ads - HTML5 vs Static

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

We've recently converted all our display ads over to HTML5 banners. We previously had static, jpeg banners. I'm wondering if we should keep a set of static images in the most popular sizes (i.e. 300x250, 160x600, 728x90) running, for those AdSense publishers who do not support HTML5? In previous experiences using 3PAS for DSP's, it was required to upload a default static image for these instances. Does the same hold true for AdWords? I would be curious to know if there are any stats/articles about HTML5 inventory vs static inventory on GDN?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean G
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean,

Absolutely. Definitely keep them and add them to the rotation. In 99% of cases you'll find the HTML ads perform better but it's always good to keep static ones in rotation for the reason you mentioned. As you collect more data, you can delete them as required. 

This is the approach that we take.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean G
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean,

Absolutely. Definitely keep them and add them to the rotation. In 99% of cases you'll find the HTML ads perform better but it's always good to keep static ones in rotation for the reason you mentioned. As you collect more data, you can delete them as required. 

This is the approach that we take.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Dave!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you say 99% of the time. I've been looking for some studies that back this up. Any idea where I can find anything? There have been quite a few folks saying static outperforms HTML animated. http://programmaticadvertising.org/2015/07/09/5-benchmarks-to-test-against-your-programmatic-banners...

Re: Display Ads - HTML5 vs Static

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Nick, 

I should have been clearer. I meant against the old static image ads. Not the static HTML5 ads.